Opinions On This 50m Steel Span Bridge Without Supports

In summary, the bridge sections in the photo are being welded/bolted together on site. This is going to be a structurally strong bridge, but it won't last long if students try to break the "greatest number of people on a bridge" record.
morrobay
Gold Member
The bridge sections in photo are being welded / bolted ? together on site. Is this going to be structurally
strong enough for a pedestrian bridge ?
750x422_812013_1535965137.jpg

Attachments

• 750x422_812013_1535965137.jpg
    750x422_812013_1535965137.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 932
Engineering news on Phys.org
Do you seriously think that nothing but the "information" in that picture is enough to base an engineering judgement on?

Likes russ_watters, berkeman and anorlunda
I see a squirrel, what a cute squirrel. What is that he's eating? :oldeyes:

Likes russ_watters
It will certainly be safer than crossing a ten-lane racing circuit ... :rolleyes:

phinds said:
Do you seriously think that nothing but the "information" in that picture is enough to base an engineering judgement on?
No , but without inspecting it the general question is the stability of a 50m span with 3 sections put together on site and no center support
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1056216-new-pedestrian-bridge-engineering/?page=4

morrobay said:
No , but without inspecting it the general question is the stability of a 50m span with 3 sections put together on site and no center support
https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1056216-new-pedestrian-bridge-engineering/?page=4
And the answer is ... not enough information

Likes BvU
I have only light knowledge of structural design but that truss made of 8 inch (20cm) I-beams and box-beams looks very sturdy. If there had been a center support, the bridge would only remain until a vehicle crashed the center support; a somewhat likely thing to happen.

I agree the assembly of the three pieces is critical.

(Dimensions were estimated assuming the bus is 10 feet (3m) high.)

morrobay said:
Is this going to be structurally strong enough for a pedestrian bridge ?
That depends on how many students try to break the "greatest number of people on a bridge" record.
Where is it? India? Or will it be coated in ice during winter, then hit by a hurricane?
The pedestrians are the least of the problems.

Tom.G said:
I have only light knowledge of structural design but that truss made of 8 inch (20cm) I-beams and box-beams...
and you are getting this from the picture, how?

There are some more pictures linked in that forum in post 5. It looks pretty sturdy, but you really can't tell any detail without knowing a lot more about the design.

cjl said:
There are some more pictures linked in that forum in post 5. It looks pretty sturdy, but you really can't tell any detail without knowing a lot more about the design.
I assumed those were all just examples of the KIND of structure he's talking about

Likes Jodo
Could be. I was under the impression that was the exact structure in question, but regardless, there's no way to say what the safe load and safety factor is without far more info.

morrobay said:
Is this going to be structurally
strong enough for a pedestrian bridge ?
Based on the fact that it is a real bridge under construction I conclude that it has been designed by a qualified engineer and the plans reviewed and approved by a qualified code enforcement agency and therefore will be structurally strong enough. Anything beyond that - as others indicate - is pointless speculation. Thread locked.

What is the purpose of this 50m steel span bridge without supports?

The purpose of this bridge is to span a distance of 50m without the need for any supporting structures, such as columns or piers.

What are the benefits of a bridge without supports?

A bridge without supports allows for a clear span, meaning there are no obstacles or supports in the way. This can be beneficial for navigation, transportation, and aesthetics. It also reduces the cost and time of construction.

What are the challenges of building a 50m steel span bridge without supports?

The main challenge is ensuring the stability and strength of the bridge without any supporting structures. This requires careful design and engineering to distribute the weight and forces evenly across the span.

What materials are used in constructing a bridge without supports?

Steel is often used for its strength and durability. Other materials such as concrete and composite materials may also be used depending on the design and requirements of the bridge.

Are there any safety concerns with a bridge without supports?

Bridges without supports must undergo rigorous safety assessments to ensure they meet all necessary standards and regulations. Proper maintenance and regular inspections are also important to ensure the safety of the bridge.