How Can the Euler-Lagrange Equations Describe Light Path in Optical Fibers?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of optical fibers for efficient data communication due to their low loss and high bandwidth. It is described as a medium with an index of refraction that depends on the distance from its axis. The Euler-Lagrange equations are used to determine the equation for the beam path, which can be written as n*sin(i) = a, with a constant to be determined and i representing the angle of the ray with the normal. It is noted that the angle of refraction plays a crucial role in keeping the light in the fiber.
C4l1

Homework Statement

An optical fiber is one way to guide light efficiently from one point to an other. It is currently used for data communication: it offers low loss and very high bandwidth, ideal for the requirements of the internet. Generally, we can describe an optical fiber as a medium with an index of refraction n which depends only on the distance from its axis for example Ox. If we assume an incoming beam in the plane Oxyat start crossing Ox with an angle θ0,
show that, by solving the Euler-Lagrange equations, the equation for the beam path can be written as:

##n \sin(i) = a##

with a a constant to determine and i the angle that the ray makes with the normal. You will have to keep some approximation on the angle

Homework Equations

Euler lagrange equations:
##\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial x'}-\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial x}=0 ##

##\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial y'}-\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial y}=0 ##

##\frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial z'}-\frac{\partial\mathcal{L}}{\partial z}=0 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried rewriting the Euler-Lagrange equations using the Principle of Fermat, that light will travel the path between A and b that is shortest, in order to get a differential equation:

##\frac{d}{ds}\left(n\frac{d\vec{r}}{ds}\right)={\vec\nabla}n##

with s the distance traveled by the light and r the position in space.
From this point I did not get any further on relating this equations to this particular beam path length in an optical fiber proposed, especially on relating it to the angle i.

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you excluding the only thing that keeps the light in the fiber is the angle of refraction provided by the difference in R(i) of two mediums glass n1 and n2 (cladding,air,etc..)?

1. What is the purpose of an optical fiber?

An optical fiber is a thin, transparent strand of glass or plastic that is used to transmit light signals over long distances. Its main purpose is to carry digital information such as data, voice, and video signals at high speeds and with minimal loss of signal.

2. How does light travel through an optical fiber?

Light travels through an optical fiber by constantly reflecting off the walls of the fiber in a process called total internal reflection. This allows the light to travel down the length of the fiber without escaping, resulting in efficient transmission of signals.

3. What is the beam path of an optical fiber?

The beam path of an optical fiber is the path that the light takes as it travels through the fiber. This path is determined by the refractive index of the fiber, which is the measure of how much the speed of light is reduced as it passes through the fiber.

4. What are the advantages of using optical fibers over traditional copper wires?

Optical fibers have several advantages over traditional copper wires. They have a much higher bandwidth, meaning they can transmit more data at faster speeds. They are also immune to electromagnetic interference, making them more reliable for long-distance communication. Additionally, they are thinner, lighter, and more flexible, making them easier to install and maintain.

5. How are optical fibers used in everyday life?

Optical fibers are used in a variety of everyday applications, such as internet communication, telephone systems, and cable television. They are also used in medical equipment, such as endoscopes, for non-invasive procedures. Additionally, optical fibers are used in sensors, lighting, and imaging technologies.