Optics: Interference - Calculate Order of Maximum Intensity

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a Michelson Interferometer and a Young's Double Slit to analyze light with a central wavelength of 500 nm. The Michelson Interferometer is used to calculate the change in order (Δm) due to a displacement of 2.5 mm of one of the mirrors. The Young's Double Slit is then used to determine the order of the maximum intensity, which is found to be 0.0071. The relationship between the two parts of the question is that the equation 2∆d/λ=∆m can be used to calculate the order change, and the ratio of the maximum intensity to the adjacent minimum intensity can be used to solve for
RESolo
“Light is emitted with a central wavelength of 500 nm. First it is analysed with a Michelson Interferometer: starting from uniform illumination, one of the mirrors is displaced 2.5 mm until no new fringes can be distinguished. Then it is analysed with a Young´s Double Slit: it is observed that the intensity of the minima adjacent to a certain maximum is not zero, but 0.05% of the maximum intensity. What is the order of said maximum?”

So I don´t really have any idea what to do. I tried to obtain order m by finding the intensity ratio:
I_max/I_min =cos^2⁡(δ_max/2)/cos^2⁡(δ_min/2) =0.0005
Where:
δ_max/2=πm and δ_min/2=π(m+1/2)
But it turns out that m is not an integer, but 0.0071. And when I use the standard order equation for the interferometer, I get:
2∆d/λ=∆m
And this gives a change in m of about 10000!

Basically I don´t understand the link between the two parts of the question and any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to use both parts of the question in order to answer it. First, you need to use the Michelson Interferometer to calculate the change in order (Δm) due to the displacement of one of the mirrors (2.5 mm). The equation 2∆d/λ=∆m can be used to calculate the order change, where λ is the light's central wavelength (500 nm), and ∆d is the displacement of the mirror (2.5 mm). This will give you the order change due to the displacement of the mirror.Then, you can use the Young's Double Slit to calculate the order of the maximum intensity. You know that the ratio of the maximum intensity to the adjacent minimum intensity is 0.0005. This means that the ratio of the cosines is also 0.0005. Using this equation, you can solve for m, which is the order of the maximum intensity. Hope this helps!

Related to Optics: Interference - Calculate Order of Maximum Intensity

1. What is interference in optics?

Interference in optics is the phenomena where two or more light waves superimpose on each other, resulting in either reinforcement or cancellation of the waves. This can result in the formation of bright and dark regions, known as interference fringes.

2. How is the order of maximum intensity calculated in interference?

The order of maximum intensity in interference is calculated using the equation mλ = d sin θ, where m is the order of the interference fringe, λ is the wavelength of light, d is the distance between the two interfering sources, and θ is the angle of the observation point from the sources.

3. What factors affect the order of maximum intensity in interference?

The order of maximum intensity in interference is affected by the distance between the interfering sources, the wavelength of light, and the angle of the observation point. Additionally, the refractive index of the medium and the number of interfering sources can also affect the order of maximum intensity.

4. How does changing the distance between the interfering sources affect the order of maximum intensity?

Changing the distance between the interfering sources can affect the order of maximum intensity by changing the path difference between the waves. This, in turn, affects the phase difference between the waves, resulting in a change in the interference pattern and the location of the maximum intensity.

5. Can the order of maximum intensity be negative in interference?

No, the order of maximum intensity cannot be negative in interference. It is always a positive integer or zero, representing the number of fringes away from the central bright fringe. Negative values do not have any physical significance in this context.