Optimization - Volume of a Box

In summary, the conversation is about finding the dimensions of a rectangular box made from a piece of sheet metal by cutting squares at the corners and folding up the sides. The homework equations and attempt at a solution are discussed, with the correct dimensions of 20m and 40m being determined using algebra.
roman15

Homework Statement

Ok I know this question is really easy but for some reason I got it wrong.

You are given a piece of sheet metal that is twice as long as it is wide and has an area of 800m^2. Find the dimensions of the rectangular box that would contain a maximum volume if it were constructed from this piece of metal by cutting squares of equal area at all four corners and folding up the sides. The Box will not have a lid.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So basically I drew the piece of metal, one side was 2m the other was 1m, then I subtracted the corners, so I had 2-2x=1-x and 1-2x and the height being x
so V=x(1-x)(1-2x)
=2x^3-3x^2+x
then V'=6x^2-6x+1
but that didnt give me the right answer...Im not sure, but does the area have any significance to the problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. All of your logic for the calculus problem was right, except for the fact that one side does not equal 2m and the other does not equal 1 m. You have to use algebra to figure you the length and width of the rectangular box.

width = w
length = l
l = 2w
800 = 2w^2
400 = w^2
w = 20
l = 40

So the equation above should be
V = x(40-2x)(20-2x)

Related to Optimization - Volume of a Box

What is the formula for finding the volume of a box?

The formula for finding the volume of a box is length x width x height.

How can I optimize the volume of a box?

To optimize the volume of a box, you can adjust the dimensions of the box to increase or decrease the volume. Keeping the dimensions proportional to each other will result in the maximum volume.

What is the relationship between the dimensions and volume of a box?

The dimensions of a box directly affect its volume. As the dimensions increase, so does the volume, and vice versa. This is why optimizing the dimensions is important for maximizing the volume of a box.

Why is optimizing the volume of a box important?

Optimizing the volume of a box is important because it allows us to use the available space efficiently. Whether it's for packaging or storage purposes, maximizing the volume of a box can help save space and resources.

Can I optimize the volume of a box without changing the dimensions?

Yes, you can also optimize the volume of a box by changing the material used to make the box. Using materials with less thickness can increase the volume of a box without changing its dimensions.