Optimizing Force of Solenoid w/Dia. ≤ 15mm

In summary, the force of a solenoid on a metal object is proportional to the number of wire wraps (N), the wire gauge (G), and the radius of the open area inside the solenoid (R).
Alex Sieber
First time posting here so excuse me if I don't know the rules so well. I figured this would be the best place to post this question.

I'm trying to optimize the force produced by a solenoid that is no bigger than 15mm in diameter (D). My goal is to get just the right balance of number of wire wraps (N), gauge of wire (G) and radius of the area inside the solenoid (R). I found an equation online that expresses the force of a solenoid on a piece of metal here:

http://www.daycounter.com/Calculators/Magnets/Solenoid-Force-Calculator.phtml

however I believe this is just an approximation under extreme circumstances. Using the variables previously expressed I have that D = R + Nd, where d is the diameter of the gauge of wire I'm to use. I know that the force is proportional to the number of wraps (N) and the current (i), however I also am under the impression that the resistance, and therefore the current, depends on the length and area of the wire. Does anyone know the proper ratio of open radius (R), to number of wraps (N), to gauge of wire (G) that would produce the largest force? I have a bunch of derivations using the equation from the aforementioned link and would be happy to provide my conclusions, however I would like to receive your guys' input before laying it all out. Thank you for any assistance you can provide and I'm happy to become to a part of the community here!

If my point isn't clear here's an example:

Solenoid 1: Has open radius of R=3.6mm inside the solenoid, a wire gauge of G=16 and N=3 wraps per unit length.
Solenoid 2: Has open radius of R=5mm inside the solenoid, a wire gauge of G=19 and N=3 wraps per unit length.

Does solenoid 1 or 2 exert a larger force on a piece of metal, say, 20mm, away from the end of the solenoid?

Last edited:
Based on your question, if you apply the same voltage, solenoid 1, having thicker wires and hence lower resistance, will have more current flowing, and hence will have a stronger magnetic field, and hence the greater force.

More current you push more powerful it gets. Do you have a limit on current, power or the available voltage ?

Thanks.

What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a type of electromagnet that consists of a coil of wire wrapped around a cylindrical core. When an electric current passes through the coil, it creates a magnetic field that can be used to generate force.

Why is it important to optimize the force of a solenoid with a diameter of less than or equal to 15mm?

Optimizing the force of a solenoid with a smaller diameter is important because it allows for more precise and efficient control of the magnetic field. This is especially useful in applications that require small and delicate movements, such as in medical devices or robotics.

How can the force of a solenoid with a diameter of ≤ 15mm be optimized?

The force of a solenoid with a smaller diameter can be optimized by adjusting the number of turns in the coil, the strength of the electric current, and the material of the core. These factors can be fine-tuned to achieve the desired force for a specific application.

What are some common uses for solenoids with a diameter of ≤ 15mm?

Solenoids with a smaller diameter are commonly used in industries such as medical, automotive, and aerospace. They can be used in devices such as valves, actuators, and switches to control the flow of fluids or electricity.

Are there any limitations to optimizing the force of a solenoid with a diameter of ≤ 15mm?

While optimizing the force of a solenoid with a smaller diameter can improve its performance, there are limitations to consider. The size of the coil and core may restrict the maximum force that can be achieved, and the materials used must be able to withstand high forces without deforming or overheating.