Orbital equations in polar coordinates

In summary, you are trying to develop a launch trajectory calculator using polar coordinates and when you integrate in polar coordinates you get only circles. The energy of the system is constant and the angular momentum is constant but the trajectory is not an ellipse. What is going on here? Is there more then one solution?
TimK
TL;DR Summary
I'm trying to develop a launch trajectory calculator using polar coordinates. When I integrate in polar coordinates I just get circles.
The equations of motion are:
[itex]\ddot{r}-r{\dot{\theta}} ^{2} = -\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/itex]
for the radial acceleration and
[itex]r\ddot{\theta} + 2\dot{r}\dot{\theta}= 0[/itex]
for the transverse acceleration

When I integrate these equations I get only circles. The energy of the system is constant and the angular momentum is constant but the trajectory is not an ellipse when it should be. What is going on here? Is there more then one solution?

Physics news on Phys.org
TimK said:
Summary:: I'm trying to develop a launch trajectory calculator using polar coordinates. When I integrate in polar coordinates I just get circles.

The equations of motion are:
[itex]\ddot{r}-r{\dot{\theta}} ^{2} = -\frac{1}{r^{2}}[/itex]
for the radial acceleration and
[itex]r\ddot{\theta} + 2\dot{r}\dot{\theta}= 0[/itex]
for the transverse acceleration

When I integrate these equations I get only circles. The energy of the system is constant and the angular momentum is constant but the trajectory is not an ellipse when it should be. What is going on here? Is there more then one solution?
A circle at constant speed is one solution, but the general solution is conic sections generally and an ellipse for closed orbits.

Without seeing your work it's not possible to see where you are going wrong. The derivation of elliptic orbits, however, is far from simple.

I should've mentioned that the circles are not centred on the origin. So the angular velocity is not constant for what should be an elliptical orbit.

TimK said:
I should've mentioned that the circles are not centred on the origin. So the angular velocity is not constant for what should be an elliptical orbit.
That doesn't sound good! :frown:

Conservation of angular momentum is implied by a central force.

I just tried it again with a much larger eccentricity and it works. All I need now is a better integrator.

I have had some experience with these types of models of the inverse square problem and I have seen two different approaches. Rand Corporation in 1962 put together a rocket model, and that model integrates in polar coordinates in a manner similar to the way you are doing.

Another approach is to use cartesian coordinates x, y, . The computer does all the work anyway so you do not have elegant solutions. For example gravity in the x direction would just be :
GM x / r^3/2 or GMx / (x*x+y*y+z*z)^3/2. Similar for y directions, and z directions.

Often this is done by Runge Kutta, but Euler Integration is also possible.

When you get x(t), y(t)), you can always transform to polar coordinates later if you like plane polar coordinates better.

You do all the calculation in an inertial frame rather than an Earth fixed frame so you have no Coriolis or Centrifugal forces.

You account for rotation of the Earth or other rotation if necessary by using rotation matrices.

1. What are orbital equations in polar coordinates?

Orbital equations in polar coordinates are mathematical equations used to describe the motion of objects in orbit around a central body. They take into account the distance of the object from the central body, as well as its angle and velocity.

2. Why are polar coordinates used for orbital equations?

Polar coordinates are used for orbital equations because they are well-suited for describing circular and elliptical orbits, which are commonly observed in space. In polar coordinates, the distance and angle of an object can be easily represented, making it a useful system for studying orbital motion.

3. How do orbital equations in polar coordinates differ from Cartesian coordinates?

In Cartesian coordinates, the position of an object is described using x and y coordinates. In polar coordinates, the position is described using a distance (r) from a central point and an angle (θ) from a reference line. This makes polar coordinates more suitable for describing circular and elliptical motion, whereas Cartesian coordinates are better for linear motion.

4. What factors influence the orbital equations in polar coordinates?

The orbital equations in polar coordinates are influenced by the mass of the central body, the distance of the object from the central body, and the object's velocity. Other factors, such as gravitational forces from other objects and atmospheric drag, may also have an impact on the equations.

5. How are orbital equations in polar coordinates used in space exploration?

Orbital equations in polar coordinates are used in space exploration to predict and plan the trajectories of spacecraft and satellites. They are also used to analyze and understand the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets and moons. By using these equations, scientists and engineers can accurately plan and execute missions in space.