Product of modular forms: poles, zeros expansion

In summary: S_k## is a sub-group of ##M_k ## so we haven't necessarily been told that there is a non-vanishing constant coefficient.
binbagsss

Homework Statement

zeropole.png

question concerning part c.

Homework Equations

The question is pretty simple if there is no zero of order ##N## at infinity, such that it does not cancel the pole of ##f(t)## at infinity of order ##N##.

In this case it follows that ## f(t) g(t) \in M^{!}_2 ## and so we just set the constant coefficient to zero.

However, if there is a zero of order ##N## at infinity then ##f(t)g(t) \in M_2 ## instead, and the constant coefficient is not zero in general.

So my question is how do we know there is not a zero of order ##N## at infinity?

The Attempt at a Solution

From what I understand the expansion of ##f(t)## in terms of ##q## is the expansion of ##f(t)## near ##\infty## and it is holomorphic - no pole at ##\infty##- if there are no negative coefficients, and if there are negative coefficients the last one gives the order of the pole.

However for positive coefficients it runs to ##\infty ## , how do you deduce the order of any zeros? or

Attachments

• zeropole.png
    zeropole.png
    21.9 KB · Views: 897
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
So my question is how do we know there is not a zero of order ##N## at infinity?

Ok, so I think this is obvious since ##g(t) \in M_k ## not ##S_k## so there is no zero at ##q=\infty## due to the non-zero constant coefficient. HOWEVER, so in the case a function ## \in S_k ## there is a zero at ##\infty## and from the Fourier expansion ##\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty} q^n ## wouln't i conlclude it is a zero of order infinity? But I suspect this is wrong? thanks

binbagsss said:
Ok, so I think this is obvious since ##g(t) \in M_k ## not ##S_k## so there is no zero at ##q=\infty## due to the non-zero constant coefficient. HOWEVER, so in the case a function ## \in S_k ## there is a zero at ##\infty## and from the Fourier expansion ##\sum\limits_{n=0}^{\infty} q^n ## wouln't i conlclude it is a zero of order infinity? But I suspect this is wrong? thanks

actually no, since ##S_k## is a sub-group of ##M_k ## so we haven't necessarily been told that there is a non-vanishing constant coefficient.

1. What is a modular form?

A modular form is a complex analytic function that is invariant under the modular group, which is a group of transformations that preserve the upper half-plane in the complex plane. It is an important concept in number theory and has applications in various areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering.

2. What are poles and zeros in a modular form?

Poles and zeros are the points where a modular form is either undefined (poles) or evaluates to zero (zeros). They are important because they provide information about the behavior and properties of a modular form.

3. How do you expand a modular form in terms of poles and zeros?

Modular forms can be expanded in terms of their poles and zeros using the Weierstrass factorization theorem. This theorem states that any entire function can be expressed as a product of its zeros, with appropriate weights, and a non-vanishing entire function. This expansion is useful in understanding the distribution of poles and zeros of a modular form.

4. What is the significance of the expansion of a modular form in terms of poles and zeros?

The expansion of a modular form in terms of poles and zeros provides insight into the behavior and properties of the modular form. It can be used to study the growth rate, order, and symmetry of the modular form, and can help in proving important theorems and conjectures related to modular forms.

5. Can the expansion of a modular form in terms of poles and zeros be used for practical applications?

Yes, the expansion of a modular form in terms of poles and zeros has practical applications in various fields. It is used in cryptography for designing secure communication systems, in physics for studying the behavior of particles, and in engineering for developing efficient algorithms and codes.