Organic chemistry: Are all non-aromatic carbon chains aliphatic?

In summary, the conversation discusses the classification of hydrocarbons into two categories: aromatic and aliphatic compounds. The distinction between the two is explained and the speaker suggests reviewing this information from a textbook or alternative sources. The question is raised whether all non-aromatic hydrocarbons are considered aliphatic, to which the answer is yes according to the basic classification definition.
samy4408
Are all non aromatic carbon chain aliphatic ?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
"Carbon chain" seems a bit inprecise. If one rephrases the question to "Are all non aromatic hydrocarbons aliphatic ?" I recall the answer is yes by definition of basic classifications?

/Fredrik

symbolipoint said:
No, or as best I can understand, I believe no. One kind is distinct from the other kind. Review this classification from your textbook. For alternative review or maybe reenforcement, you might look at these two articles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aliphatic_compound
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aromatic_compound

I understood this stuff better, but a very very long time ago.
Incorrect. Read the first sentence of the first link you posted:
“In organic chemistry, hydrocarbons(compounds composed solely of carbon and hydrogen) are divided into two classes: aromatic compounds and aliphatic compounds”
Fra said:
"Carbon chain" seems a bit inprecise. If one rephrases the question to "Are all non aromatic hydrocarbons aliphatic ?" I recall the answer is yes by definition of basic classifications?

/Fredrik
Correct.

1. Are all non-aromatic carbon chains aliphatic?

Yes, all non-aromatic carbon chains are considered aliphatic. This means that they are composed of straight or branched chains of carbon atoms, and do not contain any aromatic rings.

2. What is the difference between aliphatic and aromatic compounds?

The main difference between aliphatic and aromatic compounds is their structure. Aliphatic compounds have straight or branched chains of carbon atoms, while aromatic compounds have a ring structure of carbon atoms. Additionally, aromatic compounds have a distinct smell and are often more stable than aliphatic compounds.

3. Can aliphatic compounds be found in nature?

Yes, aliphatic compounds can be found in nature. Some examples include fatty acids, which are important components of lipids in living organisms, and terpenes, which are responsible for the scent of many plants and fruits.

4. Are there any exceptions to the rule that all non-aromatic carbon chains are aliphatic?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to this rule. Some carbon chains may have both aliphatic and aromatic properties, known as mixed aliphatic-aromatic compounds. Additionally, some carbon chains may have a cyclic structure but are not considered aromatic, such as cycloalkanes.

5. How is the structure of aliphatic compounds determined?

The structure of aliphatic compounds is determined by the number of carbon atoms in the chain and the types of bonds between them. For example, a straight chain of carbon atoms with single bonds between them is known as an alkane, while a chain with double or triple bonds is known as an alkene or alkyne, respectively.