Orthogonality of sine and cosine question

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of cos(nx) and sin(nx) when taking integrals or sums. It is mentioned that cos(nx) is even and sin(nx) is odd, and their values are dependent on the interval of integration. The conversation also touches on the use of Fourier Series and how it relates to the properties of cos(nx) and sin(nx). Finally, the original question is resolved by realizing that the values of cos(npi) and sin(npi) only apply to a specific result of the Fourier Series.
Tikkelsen
Hello,

I'm trying to solve Fourier Series, but I have a question.
I know that cos(nx) is even and sin(nx) is odd. But what does this mean when I take the integral or sum of cos(nx) or sin(nx)? Do they have a value or do they just keep their form?

Physics news on Phys.org
$$\int_a^a \sin kx \; dx = 0\\
\int_a^a \cos kx \; dx = 2\int_0^a \cos kx\; dx$$
... with the Fourier series you are more interested in the integral of f(x) multiplied by a sine or a cosine though.

Likes 1 person
I found the answer to my own question.
I wasn't concerned about cos(nx), but by cos(npi) which is equal to (-1)^n and for sin(npi) it's equal to 0. I now understand that this is only for a particular result of the Fourier Series where the integral includes pi. Thank you for your answer though Simon.

No worries, and well done.
Thanks for sharing too.
:)

The orthogonality of sine and cosine functions is a fundamental concept in mathematics and physics. It means that these two functions are perpendicular to each other, or at right angles, when plotted on a graph. This has important implications in many areas of science, including signal processing and wave analysis.

When taking the integral or sum of cos(nx) or sin(nx), they do indeed retain their form. This is because these functions are orthogonal, meaning they are independent of each other and do not affect each other's values when combined. In other words, the integral or sum of these functions will not change their shape or form, but rather add or subtract from their overall value.

This orthogonality property is what allows us to use Fourier Series to represent any periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies. By choosing the appropriate coefficients, we can accurately reconstruct the original function. So while cos(nx) and sin(nx) may seem simple on their own, their orthogonality allows for complex and powerful applications in mathematics and science. I hope this helps answer your question.

Related to Orthogonality of sine and cosine question

1. What is the concept of orthogonality in regards to sine and cosine?

Orthogonality in relation to sine and cosine refers to the perpendicularity or right angle relationship between the two trigonometric functions. This means that the sine and cosine of two angles that are 90 degrees apart will have a product of 0, indicating that they are orthogonal to each other.

2. Why is it important to understand the orthogonality of sine and cosine?

Understanding the orthogonality of sine and cosine is important in many fields, including mathematics, physics, and engineering. It allows for the simplification of complex calculations involving trigonometric functions, and is essential in solving problems related to waves and vibrations.

3. How is the orthogonality of sine and cosine used in real-world applications?

The orthogonality of sine and cosine is used in various real-world applications, such as in Fourier analysis, which is used to decompose complex signals into simpler sine and cosine components. It is also used in signal processing, image processing, and in the design of electronic circuits and antennas.

4. Can the orthogonality of sine and cosine be generalized to other trigonometric functions?

Yes, the concept of orthogonality can be extended to other trigonometric functions, such as tangent and cotangent. However, it is important to note that the orthogonality of sine and cosine is unique, as it is the only pair of trigonometric functions that are orthogonal to each other.

5. How can the orthogonality of sine and cosine be proven mathematically?

The orthogonality of sine and cosine can be proven mathematically using the fundamental trigonometric identity, sin(x) * cos(x) = 1/2 * sin(2x). By substituting x with two angles that are 90 degrees apart, it can be shown that the product of sine and cosine will always equal 0, thus proving their orthogonality.