Oscillation of a Charged Particle

In summary, the homework equation for oscillation time for a small deviation is when we only slightly flick the ball from stable state.
peroAlex

Homework Statement

At our university we were given this problem: charged ball with mass of ##m = 0.0001 kg## and charge ##Q = -10^{-5} C## is placed on geometric axis of thin torus with inner radius of ##r_{inner} = 0.05 m##, outer radius of ##r_{outer} = 0.1 m## and surface charge density ##\sigma = 10^{-5} C##. Compute oscillation time for small deviation, this is when we only slightly flick the ball from stable state.

Homework Equations

First, I took a look at this article and a PDF presentation.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation for electric field of a charged ring $$ E_z = \frac{Qz}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 (r^2 + z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} $$ I tried obtaining formula for electric field of torus (wider ring) by integration infinitesimal rings from inner to outer radius. Using Symbolab I managed to obtain following equation $$ E_{torus} = \frac{Qz}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} (\frac{r}{z^3 \sqrt{\frac{r^2}{z^2}+1}})_{r_{inner}} ^ {r_{outer}} $$.

From here on, I'm lost. Can somebody please help me or at least give me some guidance?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi
peroAlex said:
Compute oscillation time for small deviation
means you are looking for something like the ##k## in ##\vec F = -k\vec x##. So if ##|\vec F|## is a more complicated function like what you have found it here, you simply want the linear development around the equilibrium position.

On 2nd reading I wonder if you are already aware of what I posted and are stuck in working out the electric field expression ?
peroAlex said:
I tried obtaining formula for electric field of torus (wider ring) by integration infinitesimal rings from inner to outer radius. Using Symbolab I managed to obtain following equation
Not clear what you are doing there. The exercise geves that the charge is at the surface and unfiormly distributed. Looks like the pdf assumes a thin torus (yours is fat).

I believe we're on the wrong footing here.

My task considers thin torus. Due to the fact that such configuration is composed of filamentary thin rings, I tried integration individual contributions (rings) from inner to outer radius.

Guy here (page 23) calls ##a/\rho = 5## fat. With ##a/\rho = 3##, yours is 67% fatter !
Surface charge on the inside is twice as close to the axis as surface charge on the outside !

Or do I have the wrong idea of inner (## r_{\rm inner} = 0.05## m) and outer (## r_{\rm outer} = 0.10## m) radius ?

Is the shape really a torus (donut-shaped)? If it is, the dimensions given seem to contradict the description that it's thin. Or is it supposed to be a flat ring of charge with the given inner and outer radii?

A washout ?!?

This is a torus
upload_2017-2-9_18-20-28.png

very clear what is meant with a torus in math and physics.

This is a washer (not a very scientific name, but clear enough)
upload_2017-2-9_18-24-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-2-9_18-22-21.png
    upload_2017-2-9_18-22-21.png
    71.8 KB · Views: 463
BvU said:
A washout ?!?

This is a torus
View attachment 112812

very clear what is meant with a torus in math and physics.

This is a washer (not a very scientific name, but clear enough)
View attachment 112814
This is the exact shape I was trying to describe. I'm so sorry for ambiguity in definition, English is not m native tongue.

Good; makes life easier. Thin disk with a hole in the center it is. I should have been more suspicious when you mentioned a 'wider ring' and called it a torus.
First expression in post #1 (field of charged ring) looks exactly as the one here , but with ##\ Q\ ## instead of ##\ 2\pi\sigma R' dR' , \ \ ## and -- apart from that -- seems OK to me. This you now want to integrate from ##r_{\rm min}## to ##r_{\rm max}## (instead of from ##0## to ##r_{\rm max}## like here) and there you lose me :

peroAlex said:
Using Symbolab I managed to obtain following equation
Using my common sense I got something else. Pretty unpleasant, but the first derivative at ##z=0## is what we are after and that should be fairly decent. (In fact, working out the potential instead of the E-field would have been more economical -- hindsight...)

One reason I don't trust your result is that it diverges for ##z=0## which should not happen. Could you check ?

What is oscillation of a charged particle?

Oscillation of a charged particle refers to the back-and-forth motion of a charged particle in a magnetic field. This motion is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the electric charge of the particle.

What factors affect the oscillation of a charged particle?

The oscillation of a charged particle is affected by the strength of the magnetic field, the charge of the particle, and the mass of the particle. It is also affected by any external forces acting on the particle, such as gravity or friction.

What is the equation for calculating the frequency of oscillation of a charged particle?

The equation for calculating the frequency of oscillation of a charged particle is f = qB/2πm, where f is the frequency, q is the charge of the particle, B is the strength of the magnetic field, and m is the mass of the particle.

What is the period of oscillation for a charged particle?

The period of oscillation for a charged particle is the time it takes for the particle to complete one full oscillation. It can be calculated using the equation T = 1/f, where T is the period and f is the frequency.

How does the oscillation of a charged particle affect its trajectory?

The oscillation of a charged particle causes it to follow a curved path instead of a straight line. This is because the magnetic force acting on the particle is perpendicular to its velocity, causing it to change direction as it moves.