Oscillation of a particle inside water caused by a sound wave

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the displacement amplitude of a particle caused by sound waves in a 2-phase flow. The equation for calculating the energy received by the particle is given, followed by the estimation of the average kinetic energy and displacement amplitude. The conversation also mentions the use of high school notes and a lack of previous knowledge on this topic.
bubble-flow
Homework Statement
Under water, a flat, sinusoidal sound wave with 1 MHz frequency and 1000 kW/m² intensity hits a round particle with a diameter of 10 microns and a density of 5 kg/m³. It is stimulated to oscillate in the longitudinal direction. How big is the amplitude of this movement?
Relevant Equations
No equations given
I don't really know where to start as this is not exactly my homework and I finished school some 15 years ago. I looked into my old high school notes, the last time I ever had anything about mechanical waves and sound. Unfortunately, we never learned anything about sound waves causing oscillation in a 2-phase flow, so I don't even know what to google for an explanation or appropriate equations.
So far this is what I have:

pic.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.

I just estimate order of the amplitude.
Mass of the particle is
[tex]\frac{3}{4}\pi (10\times10^{-6})^3\ m^3 \times 5\ kg/m^3\ \equiv M[/tex]
The area that particle receives energy is
[tex]\pi(10/2\times 10^{-5})^2\ m^2[/tex]
So energy the particle get is
[tex]\pi(10/2\times 10^{-5})^2\ \times 10^6\ W[/tex]
During a pair of push pull time of ##10^{-6}## seconds input energy is
[tex]\pi(10/2\times 10^{-5})^2\ \times 10^6\times 10^{-6} \ Joule\ \equiv E[/tex]

In stationary case where input energy dissipates, we may estimate the above energy is average Kinetic Energy whose formula is
[tex]E=\frac{1}{2}Mv^2[/tex]
average absolute value of velocity is
[tex]|v|=\sqrt{2E/M}[/tex]
We get order of displacement amplitude as
[tex]|v|\times 10^{-6} \ m[/tex]
it is calculated order of ##m\ m##.

Likes Delta2 and bubble-flow

What is oscillation of a particle inside water caused by a sound wave?

Oscillation of a particle inside water caused by a sound wave is a phenomenon in which the movement of a sound wave through water causes small particles to vibrate or move back and forth in a regular pattern.

How does a sound wave cause oscillation of a particle inside water?

When a sound wave travels through water, it causes the water molecules to vibrate. These vibrations then transfer to nearby particles, causing them to oscillate in the same pattern as the sound wave.

What factors affect the oscillation of a particle inside water caused by a sound wave?

The amplitude, frequency, and direction of the sound wave can all affect the oscillation of a particle inside water. The density and composition of the water, as well as the size and shape of the particles, can also play a role.

Can the oscillation of a particle inside water caused by a sound wave be seen?

Yes, the oscillation of particles inside water caused by a sound wave can often be seen with the naked eye. This is especially true for larger particles or in shallow water where the movement is more pronounced.

What are the practical applications of studying oscillation of a particle inside water caused by a sound wave?

Understanding the oscillation of particles inside water caused by sound waves has various practical applications, such as in underwater acoustics, sonar technology, and studying the effects of sound on marine life. It can also aid in the development of technologies that use sound waves, such as underwater communication systems and medical ultrasound imaging.