Output voltage of a photodiode

In summary, Dave is trying to find a way to generate 5-10 volts using lasers and photodiodes, but he needs help calculating the output voltage. He found a website that explains how to calculate the output voltage of photodiodes, and he plans to use it to power a PMT. He is also trying to find a way to generate enough power over fiber optic to reach his goal.
phoneketchup
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to figure out how to calculate the output voltage of a photodiode in the photovoltaic mode.
I want to generate about 5-10V using lasers and a series of photodiodes without using an op-amp (just Vout of the photodiode equvivalent circuit). If I could get any help with this I will be very appreciative.

Cheers!

Engineering news on Phys.org
A start would be to go to digikey.com and search for photovoltaic.
CPC1832N has 10 volt output.
Get datasheet for CPC1832N.

Do you know how I can calculate the output voltage of the photodiode due to a laser of a given wavelength and power?

Or is it something like for any given wavelength/intensity (as long as its bright enough and above the threshold wavelength) the output voltage will be very close to the open circuit voltage?

Yeah I was talking about photodiodes but solar cells would work just as well. Basically what I need to do is use a laser(s) to illuminate photodiodes/solar cells and get a constant output voltage of about 5-10V which is the voltage input for an HV module that will give me an output of 2kV which will power a PMT. Everything apart from the laser will be at cryogenic temperatures. So I'm basically trying to power a PMT optically. The website you sent me really helped -- just to confirm do I just go by the open circuit voltage of the photodiode/solar cell? How do I know what voltage output I will get for a given intensity and wavelength of a laser? Will it be close to Voc at a high enough power as it increases logarithmically with the energy of the light? Cheers

I don't know how a solar cell would respond to a single wavelength of light
I could only assume it would not be able to generate its full potential as it would when exposed to the full spectrum of sunlight
It would at least be a good experiment for you to try and report back :)

Dave

Try Googling "power over fiber optic", you may be able to purchase something that has already been designed.

Good Luck
Carl

Carl, I'm really liking the solar cell you suggested and I may even get it for fun since its so cheap. I sent an e-mail to the company twice to get the spectral response---no reply. Anyway cheers for that! Also for telling me about digikey.

You're right Dave I don't think any photodiode would respond to a single wavelength. I guess I'll try to find a laser of wavelength closest to the wavelength for which I will get the highest response. Haha yes it's a fun experiment. But before I go ahead and do that I'm going to have to check how they perform at 77K-- so some liquid nitrogen fun! :P

Thanks for the help! I shall update you'll on how it all turns out.

P.S I googled power over fiber optic earlier but didn't find much. Although I don't think I looked hard enough so I'll probably give it another go.

1. What is the output voltage of a photodiode?

The output voltage of a photodiode is the electrical signal that is generated when light is incident on the photodiode. This voltage can range from a few millivolts to several volts, depending on the intensity of the incident light and the characteristics of the photodiode.

2. How is the output voltage of a photodiode measured?

The output voltage of a photodiode can be measured using a voltmeter or an oscilloscope. The photodiode is connected to the measuring device in a circuit, and the voltage across the photodiode is measured when light is incident on it.

3. What factors affect the output voltage of a photodiode?

The output voltage of a photodiode is affected by several factors, including the intensity of the incident light, the wavelength of the light, the area of the photodiode, the material and construction of the photodiode, and the bias voltage applied to the photodiode.

4. How does the output voltage of a photodiode change with changing light intensity?

The output voltage of a photodiode is directly proportional to the intensity of the incident light. This means that as the light intensity increases, the output voltage of the photodiode also increases. Similarly, as the light intensity decreases, the output voltage decreases.

5. Can the output voltage of a photodiode be adjusted?

Yes, the output voltage of a photodiode can be adjusted by changing the bias voltage applied to the photodiode. By adjusting the bias voltage, the sensitivity of the photodiode can be changed, resulting in a different output voltage for the same incident light intensity.