Over specialization in aerospace graduate studies?

In summary: Overall, it's important to focus on your passion and interests in your statement of purpose, rather than trying to cater to what you think the job market might want. In summary, it is recommended to be honest and open about your research interests in your statement of purpose for graduate programs, and to focus on your passion and interests rather than trying to cater to potential job opportunities. It is also worth mentioning that being overspecialized in electric propulsion methods may not necessarily be a disadvantage, as there may be a demand for such expertise in the future. Ultimately, it is important to choose a research area that you are passionate about and that aligns with your current interests and skills.
ehilge
Hey all, to give you some background info: I'm about to graduate with an undergrad degree in mechanical engineering and I'm planning on pursuing a graduate degree in aerospace. Originally, I was only looking at Masters programs. But I am now strongly leaning towards doing a PhD track because of funding, and if things are going poorly after a couple years I figure I can bail out with a master's (I realize that that is probably frowned upon though).

Anyway, I've been working on my statement of purpose and deciding what specific area of research I'd like to shoot for. Broadly, I'd like to get into propulsion because it relates to my current research area (which I enjoy) and I think it would be interesting. I've been looking towards spacecraft propulsion and even more specifically, ion propulsion. On to my actual question. If I were to end up studying electric propulsion methods (which I know is by no means guaranteed at this point), would I be overspecialized by the time I get out of grad school? I imagine there aren't that many positions relating to electronic propulsion. i.e. Would it be better to state on my SOP that I want to get into a more traditional field of research?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
It's impossible to say for certain whether you would be overspecialized by the time you finish your PhD, as it really depends on the job market and what other opportunities arise in the field. However, if you are interested in electric propulsion methods, then there is no harm in stating that in your statement of purpose. It's always best to be honest and open about your research interests when applying for graduate programs, as this helps the admissions committee get to know you better. If you feel that you might need to be more flexible with your research interests during your PhD program, you could also mention that in your statement of purpose so that they know you are open to exploring different areas.

1. What is over specialization in aerospace graduate studies?

Over specialization in aerospace graduate studies refers to when students focus too narrowly on a specific aspect of aerospace engineering or a specific subfield, without gaining a broader understanding of the field as a whole.

2. How does over specialization affect job prospects in the aerospace industry?

Over specialization can limit job prospects in the aerospace industry because employers often look for candidates with a well-rounded understanding of aerospace engineering, rather than just expertise in a narrow subfield.

3. What are some potential consequences of over specialization in aerospace graduate studies?

Potential consequences of over specialization in aerospace graduate studies include limited job opportunities, a lack of adaptability to changing industry needs, and a narrow understanding of the broader field of aerospace engineering.

4. How can students avoid over specialization in their aerospace graduate studies?

To avoid over specialization, students can choose a program or courses that offer a well-rounded education in aerospace engineering, participate in internships or research projects in different subfields, and stay updated on industry developments and trends.

5. Is there value in having a specialized focus in aerospace graduate studies?

Yes, there can be value in having a specialized focus in aerospace graduate studies. It can allow students to develop expertise in a specific area and potentially make them more competitive for certain job opportunities. However, it is important to also have a broad understanding of the field to have long-term success in the aerospace industry.