Oxidation number of carbon in (NH4)2C2O4

In summary, the oxidation number of carbon in the compound (NH4)2C2O4 is +3, not +4 as initially thought. This is due to the fact that the oxidation numbers of the elements in the compound must sum up to the total charge of the ion. In the case of NH4+, nitrogen has an oxidation number of -3, leaving carbon with an oxidation number of +3.
Emmanuel_Euler
What is the Oxidation Number of Carbon and Nitrogen In this compound (NH4)2C2O4?? i think the oxidation number of carbon is (+4) and Nitrogen is (-4).
am i true?? or not?
Note:this is not a homework.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I can't judge whether you are true :-)
I only can tell you that you are wrong.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
DrDu said:
I can't judge whether you are true :-)
I only can tell you that you are wrong.
Can you tell me why and where ??

So let's take NH4-: H has oxidation number +1 and the oxidation numbers have to sum up to the total charge of the ion, -1. That gives -3 for nitrogen. Same argument with C2O42-: Oxygen has oxidation number -2. Leaves me with +3 for carbon.

Likes Emmanuel_Euler
@DrDu - confusing typo in your post, it is NH4+ - unless it was premeditated :wink:

Likes DrDu and Emmanuel_Euler
Thank you guys. I thought that carbon has a oxidation number of +4 in this compound.
Thank you so much for help.

1. What is the oxidation number of carbon in (NH4)2C2O4?

The oxidation number of carbon in (NH4)2C2O4 is +3.

2. How do you determine the oxidation number of carbon in (NH4)2C2O4?

To determine the oxidation number of carbon in (NH4)2C2O4, you need to follow the following steps:

1. Identify the atoms and their known oxidation numbers in the compound. In this case, nitrogen has an oxidation number of -3, hydrogen has an oxidation number of +1, and oxygen has an oxidation number of -2.
  2. Apply the rule that the sum of all oxidation numbers in a compound must equal the overall charge of the compound. In (NH4)2C2O4, the overall charge is 0, so the sum of all oxidation numbers must equal 0 as well.
  3. Write down the equation: 2(+1) + 4(x) + 4(-2) = 0, where x is the oxidation number of carbon.
  4. Solve for x. In this case, x = +3, which is the oxidation number of carbon in (NH4)2C2O4.

3. Why does the oxidation number of carbon in (NH4)2C2O4 have a value of +3?

The oxidation number of carbon in (NH4)2C2O4 is determined based on the known oxidation numbers of other atoms in the compound and the overall charge of the compound. In this case, the oxidation number of carbon is +3 because it balances out the other oxidation numbers and results in an overall charge of 0.

4. Can the oxidation number of carbon in (NH4)2C2O4 vary?

No, the oxidation number of carbon in (NH4)2C2O4 is always +3. The oxidation number of an element in a compound is fixed and does not change unless the compound is chemically altered.

5. What is the significance of knowing the oxidation number of carbon in (NH4)2C2O4?

The oxidation number of carbon in (NH4)2C2O4 is important because it helps in determining the reactivity and properties of the compound. It also plays a role in balancing chemical equations and predicting the products of a chemical reaction.