Parametric Equations finding largest radius

In summary, the problem is to find an expression for dx/dθ for a polar graph defined by r = f(θ), without involving the letter r. The first step is to use the fact that x = r*cos(θ), which can be substituted for r in the original equation. The derivative of x is then taken and set equal to 0 to find where the graph turns back around. This leads to the equation tan(θ) = f'(θ)/f(θ), which can be solved for the value of θ. From there, x can be computed using x = f(θ)cos(θ). The hint provided is used to find the extremum of x, but it is not specified whether it is
Painguy

Homework Statement

Suppose that r = f (θ) defines a polar graph. Find an expression for dx/dθ. It should not involve the letter r. Explain a procedure to determine the farthest that the graph r = f (θ) extends to the left and to the right (Hint: If x = x0 is the x - value of the point that is farthest left, how does x0 compare with all other x-values?).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The wording of the question seems a bit off especially the hint "is the x - value of the point that is farthest left".
Here is how I started teh problem. I know that x=r*cos(θ) so i subsituded r for f(θ) to get
x=f(θ)cos(θ). My guess is that when the derivative of dx/dθ is equal to 0 then that means that the polar graph is turning back around so I take the derivative of x to get dx/dθ =-f(θ)sin(θ) +f'(θ)cos(θ)
then I set it equal to 0 to get
-f(θ)sin(θ) +f'(θ)cos(θ)=0
f(θ)sin(θ) =f'(θ)cos(θ)
tan(θ)=f'(θ)/f(θ)
tan(θ)=f'(θ)/(x/cos(θ))
x=(f'(θ) tan(θ)cos(θ))

I don't really know what I'm doing at this point. How should I approach this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Painguy said:
tan(θ)=f'(θ)/f(θ)
It all looks fine to here. In practice, you would know f(), so could then solve the above equation to find the theta of interest, then compute x from x = f(θ) cos(θ). There's no point in bringing x back into the equation first unless you can eliminate theta and get an equation in x only - which you can't without knowing what f is.

haruspex said:
It all looks fine to here. In practice, you would know f(), so could then solve the above equation to find the theta of interest, then compute x from x = f(θ) cos(θ). There's no point in bringing x back into the equation first unless you can eliminate theta and get an equation in x only - which you can't without knowing what f is.

I see. That makes sense. I guess I was expecting a bit more out of the problem. Is there any point to the hint that was provided? I feel like I'm still missing a big chunk of the question.

Painguy said:
I see. That makes sense. I guess I was expecting a bit more out of the problem. Is there any point to the hint that was provided? I feel like I'm still missing a big chunk of the question.
You used the hint when you looked for the extremum of x. One thing you have not done is show how to determine it's a leftmost value, not a rightmost one.

Related to Parametric Equations finding largest radius

1. What are parametric equations?

Parametric equations are a way of representing mathematical equations using parameters or variables. These equations often involve multiple variables that are related to each other and are used to describe a specific curve or surface.

2. How do you find the largest radius using parametric equations?

To find the largest radius using parametric equations, you can use the method of differentiation. First, find the derivative of the parametric equations with respect to the variable that represents the radius. Then, set the derivative equal to zero and solve for the variable to find the maximum value of the radius.

3. Can parametric equations be used in three-dimensional space?

Yes, parametric equations can be used in three-dimensional space to represent curves and surfaces. In this case, the equations will involve three variables and will be used to describe a three-dimensional object.

4. What is the advantage of using parametric equations?

The advantage of using parametric equations is that they allow for a more flexible and efficient way of representing curves and surfaces. They can also be used to describe complex shapes or objects that are difficult to represent using traditional equations.

5. Are there any real-world applications of parametric equations for finding the largest radius?

Yes, parametric equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics to model and design objects with curved surfaces. In these applications, finding the largest radius using parametric equations can help determine the optimal size and shape of an object for a specific purpose.