Partial Derivative, piecewise function

That is, for [itex]f_ {xy}(0,0)= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f_x(h,0)- f_x(0,0)}{h}= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{\frac{h(0)((h)^2- 0^2)}{(h)^2- 0^2)- 0}{h}[/itex][tex]= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{0}{h}= 0[/itex] On the other hand, [itex]f_ {yx}(0,0)= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f
Thomas_

Homework Statement

Let :
[tex]f(x,y) = \frac{xy(x^2 - y^2)}{(x^2 + y^2)^2}[/tex] if [tex](x,y) \neq (0,0)[/tex]
[tex]f(x,y) = 0[/tex] if [tex](x,y) = (0,0)[/tex]

a) Find [tex]f_{xx}(0,0)[/tex]

b) Find [tex]f_{xy}(0,0)[/tex]

c) Find [tex]f_{yx}(0,0)[/tex]

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to deal with the piecewise defined function, I just took the first and second partial derivatives w/ respect to x (for part a), but then still I can't evaluate the resulting function at (0,0), because at the point it doesn't exist...

Physics news on Phys.org
Thomas_ said:

Homework Statement

Let :
[tex]f(x,y) = \frac{xy(x^2 - y^2)}{(x^2 + y^2)^2}[/tex] if [tex](x,y) \neq (0,0)[/tex]
[tex]f(x,y) = 0[/tex] if [tex](x,y) = (0,0)[/tex]

a) Find [tex]f_{xx}(0,0)[/tex]

b) Find [tex]f_{xy}(0,0)[/tex]

c) Find [tex]f_{yx}(0,0)[/tex]

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to deal with the piecewise defined function, I just took the first and second partial derivatives w/ respect to x (for part a), but then still I can't evaluate the resulting function at (0,0), because at the point it doesn't exist...

We can't tell whether what you got is correct because you didn't tell us what you got.

That's not really piecewise. f(0, 0) is defined to be 0 in order to make f continuous and so differentiable. You can do the entire problem just ignoring f(0,0).

I have exactly the same question. The equation is even more or less the same. Mine is:

[tex]f(x,y)=\frac{xy(x^2-y^2)}{x^2+y^2}[/tex] if [tex](x,y) \neq (0,0)[/tex]
[tex]f(x,y)=0[/tex] if [tex](x,y)=(0,0)[/tex].

But I'm still puzzled how to threat the point (0,0). According to my textbook, [tex]f_{xy}(0,0)\neq f_{yx}(0,0)[/tex]. So, I know more or less the solution, but I'm not sure that my explanation is correct.

Ignoring the point (0,0) I have:

first x, then y:
[tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}}(x,y)=\frac{-y^5+yx^4+4y^3x^2}{(x^2+y^2)^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}\partial{x}}(x,y)=\frac{x^6+9x^4y^2-9x^2y^4-y^6}{(x^2+y^2)^3}[/tex]

first y, then x:
[tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}}(x,y)=\frac{x^5-4x^3y^2-y^4x}{(x^2+y^2)^2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}\partial{y}}(x,y)=\frac{x^6+9x^4y^2-9x^2y^4-y^6}{(x^2+y^2)^3}[/tex]

So, it is obvious that as long [tex]x\neq 0[/tex] and [tex] y\neq 0[/tex] that [tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}\partial{x}}(x,y)=\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}\partial{y}}(x,y)[/tex].

Now, for (x,y)->(0,0), how do I prove that
[tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}\partial{x}}(0,0)\neq\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}\partial{y}}(0,0)[/tex]? Clearly, just substituting x and y with 0 results in [tex]\frac{0}{0}[/tex].

Is it valid to say the following:
For[tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}\partial{x}}(0,0)[/tex], first let x-> 0 first, resulting in [tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}\partial{x}}(0,y)=\frac{-y^6}{y^6}=-1, \forall y[/tex] and thus[tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}\partial{x}}(0,0)=-1[/tex]?

For[tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}\partial{y}}(0,0)[/tex], first let y-> 0 first, resulting in [tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}\partial{y}}(x,0)=\frac{x^6}{x^6}=1, \forall x[/tex] and thus[tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{x}\partial{y}}(0,0)=1[/tex]?

This is more or less a guess. I have no clue whether it is correct and if it is correct how to justify this. Especially, I have no explanation why for [tex]\frac{\partial{f}}{\partial{y}\partial{x}}(0,0)[/tex], I first let x->0 and not y->0.

Any help on this would be most welcome and will be highly appreciated.

(and happy new year to you all)

The partial derivatives are defined by the limits
[tex]f_x(x_0,y_0)= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x_0+h, y_0)- f(x_0,y_0)}{h}[/tex]
and
[tex]f_y(x_0,y_0)= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{f(x_0,y_0+h)- f(x_0,y_0)}{h}[/tex]
Here, [itex](x_0,y_0)= (0,0)[/itex] and with h non-zero, in calculating the limit, we are not at (0,0) and so use the other formula.

Here,
[tex]f_x(0,0)= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{\frac{(x+h)(0)((x+h)^2- 0^2)}{(x+h)^2- 0^2)- 0}}{h}= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} 0/h= 0[/itex]
[tex]f_y(0,0)= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} \frac{\frac{(0)(y+h)(0^2- (y+h)^2)}{0^2-(y+h)^2- 0}}{h}= \lim_{h\rightarrow 0} 0/h= 0[/itex]
While [itex]f_x[/itex] and [itex]f_y[/itex] for (x,y) not equal to (0,0) is given by differentiating f in the usual way.

Once you know [itex]f_x[/itex] and [itex]f_y[/itex] for (x,y) close to (0,0) do exactly the same thing with this new function to find the second derivative.

Related to Partial Derivative, piecewise function

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in multivariable calculus to calculate the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant.

2. How is a partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative calculates the rate of change of a single variable function, while a partial derivative calculates the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables while holding the other variables constant.

3. What is a piecewise function?

A piecewise function is a mathematical function that is defined by different equations over different intervals of its domain.

4. How do you take the partial derivative of a piecewise function?

To take the partial derivative of a piecewise function, you must calculate the partial derivatives of each piece of the function separately and then combine them using the appropriate rules depending on the type of piecewise function.

5. Why are partial derivatives important in science and engineering?

Partial derivatives are important in science and engineering because they allow us to analyze and understand the behavior of multivariable functions, which are often used to model complex systems and phenomena in the natural world. They are also essential in optimization problems, where we seek to find the maximum or minimum value of a function.