Partial Derivatives - Finding tangent in a volume?

In summary, the ellipse 4x^2+z^2=8 intersects the plane y=2 in an ellipse, and the tangent line to this ellipse at (1,2,2) is -1.
Shaybay92
Not sure I understand exactly what this question is asking. This is obviously a volume in R3 and so how do you get a tangent inside a volume? Or is it just along the plane y = 2 intersecting the volume? Also, what is a parametric equation...? Thanks for the help:

Question:
The ellipsoid 4x^2 + 2y^2 + z^2 = 16 intersects the plane y = 2 in an ellipse. Find parametric equations for the tangent line to this ellipse at the point (1,2,2).

Attempt:
I substituted in y = 2 and got the equation 4x^2 + z^2 = 8. Do I just find what the partial derivatives are at the point (1,2)? And would the tangents be combinations of these two derivatives...?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find the tangent line to an ellipse. The ellipse lies in the plane y=2, so you don't have to worry about tangent lines in a volume. Solve for the ellipse in the XZ-plane at y=2, and find its tangent at (x,z)=(1,2). You should be able to convince yourself that the tangent to the ellipse lies in the y=2 plane. And (1,2) better be a point on this ellipse (it is) or there is something wrong with the problem statement.

Thanks but I'm not so good with ellipse equations and I don't really understand, if y=2 then the ellipse would be 4x^2 + z^2 = 8 right... but this isn't an equation of two variables is it? Because its an implicit function of z (is this correct?). So solving for z would give a one variable function but then it is not partial derivatives because its only a single variable function right?

I'm not a homework helper. I'm just filling in for a short moment, but, yes, 4x^2 + z^2 = 8 is an equation of two variables.

For the elliptical curve, all the partial derivatives with respect to y disappear. The curve is stuck in the y=2 plane. So obviously it doesn't change with y.

Yes, the ellipse, in the plane y= 2 is [itex]4x^2+ z^2= 8[/itex]. To find the equation of the tangent line at (1, 2, 2), you can either think of z as a function of x or x as a function of z.

Since "z as a function of x" seems more natural, by "implicit differentiation", [itex]4x + 2z z'= 0[/itex] gives, at (1, 2, 2), [itex]4+ 4z'= 0[/itex] so that z'= -1.

Find z= ax+ b for that slope and point and include y= 2. If you want parametric equations, let x= t, z= at+ b, y= 2.

Moderator's note: thread moved from "Differential Equations".

Homework assignments or any textbook style exercises are to be posted in the appropriate forum in our Homework & Coursework Questions forums. This should be done whether the problem is part of one's assigned coursework or just independent study.

Thank you.

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures how a function changes with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. It is used to calculate the rate of change of a function in a specific direction.

2. How is a partial derivative calculated?

A partial derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of a function with respect to one of its variables while keeping all other variables constant. This is done by treating the other variables as constants and using the same rules of differentiation as with single-variable functions.

3. Why are partial derivatives important?

Partial derivatives are important because they allow us to analyze the behavior of multivariable functions in specific directions. They are used in many fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and solve complex problems.

4. What is the use of finding the tangent in a volume?

Finding the tangent in a volume using partial derivatives allows us to determine the slope of a function at a specific point in a three-dimensional space. This can be useful in optimizing functions and understanding the behavior of surfaces in a given volume.

5. Can partial derivatives be applied to functions with more than two variables?

Yes, partial derivatives can be applied to functions with any number of variables. The process remains the same, taking the derivative of the function with respect to one variable while keeping all others constant. However, as the number of variables increases, the calculations can become more complex.