Partial derivatives of function log(x^2+y^2)

In summary: It's impressive that you are able to communicate in a second language. Keep practicing and you'll improve even more!In summary, the question concerns a function and its partial derivatives. The conclusion is that the second partial derivatives with respect to different variables are equal but have different signs, which can be explained by the role of the "active" variable in the derivative. The conversation also includes a note about a potential error in the partial derivatives.
Chromosom

Homework Statement

I have got a question concerning the following function:

[tex]f(x,y)=\log\left(x^2+y^2\right)[/tex]​

Partial derivatives are:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x^2}=\frac{y^2-x^2}{\left(x^2+y^2\right)^2}[/tex]​

and

[tex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial y^2}=\frac{x^2-y^2}{\left(x^2+y^2\right)^2}[/tex]​

The conclusion is that the following equation is right:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x^2}=-\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial y^2}[/tex]​

But I can not understand, how can it be possible. The role of x and y variables are exactly the same, then why derivatives are not the same?

Sorry for my English - it is my second language. I am from Poland.

Physics news on Phys.org
Chromosom said:

Homework Statement

Partial derivatives are:

[tex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial x^2}=\frac{y^2-x^2}{\left(x^2+y^2\right)^2}[/tex]​

and

[tex]\frac{\partial^2f}{\partial y^2}=\frac{x^2-y^2}{\left(x^2+y^2\right)^2}[/tex]​

But I can not understand, how can it be possible. The role of x and y variables are exactly the same, then why derivatives are not the same?

There's a factor of 2 missing in all your second derivatives.

The result is exactly as you'd expect. The variable you're differentiating with respect to, matters. If it's x, then y is treated as a constant, and vice versa. So if the "active" variable is leading in the numerator in one derivative, the same should apply in the other. It's just that the "active" variable is x in one case and y in the other, and the other variable acts like a constant.

Chromosom said:

Homework Statement

Partial derivatives are:

and

How did you get those partial derivatives? They are wrong.

P.S. There's nothing wrong with your English, and even if there were, there is nothing to apologise for.

Related to Partial derivatives of function log(x^2+y^2)

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept used to describe how a function changes when only one of its variables is allowed to vary, while keeping all other variables constant. It is denoted by ∂ (pronounced "partial") followed by the variable that is allowed to vary.

2. How do you find a partial derivative?

To find a partial derivative, you first need to identify the variable that is allowed to vary. Then, you treat all other variables as constants and use the standard rules of differentiation to find the derivative. In the case of a function with multiple variables, you will end up with multiple partial derivatives, each with respect to a different variable.

3. Can a function have multiple partial derivatives?

Yes, a function with multiple variables can have multiple partial derivatives. Each partial derivative represents the rate of change of the function with respect to a specific variable.

4. How do you find the partial derivatives of a logarithmic function?

To find the partial derivatives of a logarithmic function, you can use the chain rule. For example, in the function log(x^2+y^2), the partial derivative with respect to x would be 2x/(x^2+y^2) and the partial derivative with respect to y would be 2y/(x^2+y^2).

5. What is the significance of finding partial derivatives in mathematics?

Partial derivatives are important in mathematics as they allow us to analyze how a function changes when only one of its variables is changed. They are used in many fields, including physics, economics, and engineering, to model and understand complex systems.