Partial Fraction Question

In summary, the Pythagoras theorem and completing the square are used to find ##1##, ##2x - 5##, and ##2\sqrt{x^2 - 5x + 6}## in the triangle.
askor
Do anyone know how to find ##1##, ##2x - 5##, and ##2\sqrt{x^2 - 5x + 6}## in the triangle? (please see attached image)

Also, how do you find ##(x - 5/2)^2 - (1/2)^2##?

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Attachments

• PartFrac.PNG
    PartFrac.PNG
    16.3 KB · Views: 240
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
askor said:
Do anyone know how to find ##1##, ##2x - 5##, and ##2\sqrt{x^2 - 5x + 6}## in the triangle? (please see attached image)

The first one is called Pythagoras's theorem; and the second is completing the square for a quadratic expression.

PeroK said:
The first one is called Pythagoras's theorem; and the second is completing the square for a quadratic expression.

Yes I know how to use Pythagoras' theorem and completing the square. But where are they come from? I don't understand. Anyone mind to explain as detail as possible?

askor said:
Yes I know the first is Phytagoras theorem and second is completing square. But where are they come from? I don't understand. Anyone mind to explain as detail as possible?

What do you mean "where are they come from"? You have a quadartic, you complete the square and you draw the corresponding right-angle triangle.

Where did ##x^2 - 5x + 6## come from?

PeroK said:
What do you mean "where are they come from"? You have a quadartic, you complete the square and you draw the corresponding right-angle triangle.

Where did ##x^2 - 5x + 6## come from?

The ##x^2 - 5x + 6## is from the problem: ##\int \frac{1}{x^2 - 5x + 6} dx##

How do you get ##1##, ##2x - 5##, and ##2 \sqrt{x^2 - 5x + 6}## in the triangle?

askor said:
The ##x^2 - 5x + 6## is from the problem: ##\int \frac{1}{x^2 - 5x + 6} dx##

How do you get ##1##, ##2x - 5##, and ##2 \sqrt{x^2 - 5x + 6}## in the triangle?

Pythagoras theorem. Try it!

Why the ##1## is in adjacent side, why ##2x - 5## is in hypotenuse side and why ##2 \sqrt{x^2 - 5x + 6}## is in opposite side?

askor said:
Why the ##1## is in adjacent side, why ##2x - 5## is in hypotenuse side and why ##2 \sqrt{x^2 - 5x + 6}## is in opposite side?
Okay, you've clearly got a mental block about this. You start with:

##x^2 - 5x + 6 = (x- 5/2)^2 - (1/2)^2##

Hence:

##x^2 - 5x + 6 + (1/2)^2 = (x- 5/2)^2##

You multiply by ##4## to get rid of the fractions:

##4(x^2 - 5x + 6) + 1^2 = (2x- 5)^2##

You use Pythagoras to justify drawing a right triangle with ##(2x-5)## as the hypothenuse and ##1## and ##2\sqrt{x^2 - 5x + 6}## as the other two sides.

Simple!

PeroK said:
Okay, you've clearly got a mental block about this. You start with:

##x^2 - 5x + 6 = (x- 5/2)^2 - (1/2)^2##

Hence:

##x^2 - 5x + 6 + (1/2)^2 = (x- 5/2)^2##

You multiply by ##4## to get rid of the fractions:

##4(x^2 - 5x + 6) + 1^2 = (2x- 5)^2##

You use Pythagoras to justify drawing a right triangle with ##(2x-5)## as the hypothenuse and ##1## and ##2\sqrt{x^2 - 5x + 6}## as the other two sides.

Simple!

This is the answer I want. Why don't you answer my question like this earlier?

askor said:
This is the answer I want. Why don't you answer my question like this earlier?
Because this is elementary mathematics and you are studying the more advanced mathematics of trig integral substitutions. The ethos of this site is to get you to think for yourself. In this case, you may have thought something complicated was going on. My first posts hinted that there was nothing complicated going on and you just needed to do some basic algebra. Which, as it turned out, you were unable to do for yourself.

Likes epenguin and SammyS
More question, why do the form change from ##x^2 - 5x + 6## to ##(x - 5/2)^2 - (1/2)^2## ?

askor said:
More question, why do change from ##x^2 - 5x + 6## to ##(x - 5/2)^2 - (1/2)^2##
Why not?

You will do that a lot in integration when you have a quadratic on the denominator. The idea is to get rid of the linear term. With the substitution ##u = x - 5/2## you have a denominator that looks like ##u^2 - a^2##, where ##a## is a constant. These are often standard integrals, which can be solved by a trig or hyperbolic trig substitution. Or, looked up in tables.

PeroK said:
Why not?

You will do that a lot in integration when you have a quadratic on the denominator. The idea is to get rid of the linear term. With the substitution ##u = x - 5/2## you have a denominator that looks like ##u^2 - a^2##, where ##a## is a constant. These are often standard integrals, which can be solved by a trig or hyperbolic trig substitution. Or, looked up in tables.

I only know trigonometric substitution from my calculus textbook but not hyperbolic trig substitution, I can't find it in my calculus textbook. In what book the hyperbolic substitution is teached?

askor said:
I only know trigonometric substitution from my calculus textbook but not hyperbolic trig substitution, I can't find it in my calculus textbook. In what book the hyperbolic substitution is teached?

It's in the book of Google!

PeroK said:
It's in the book of Google!

Come on, be serious. What book is it?

Back to the topic. What is the relationship of partial fractions with trigonometric substitution?

askor said:
Come on, be serious. What book is it?

Back to the topic. What is the relationship of partial fractions with trigonometric substitution?
That's what your book is trying to show you.

askor said:

When posting images, please, post the full sized version in addition to the thumbnail.
partfrac-png.png

askor said:

PeroK did answer this in a short statement. Here's a longer explanation.

The attachment included in the OP gives an example of an integral which can be evaluated using either trig substitution or by decomposing the integrand using the method that partial fractions. For this example partial fractions gives the result more directly. However, the excerpt you show, only gives the result using trig substitution. I assume that your textbook also evaluates the integral using partial fractions.

Use partial fraction decomposition to show that ##\dfrac {1}{x-2}- \dfrac {1}{x-3} = \dfrac {1}{ x^2-5x+6} ##

If you remain curious about Hyperbolic Substitution, Look at the Wikipedia page on Trig Substitution to see a section on Hyperbolic Substitution.

1. What is a partial fraction question?

A partial fraction question is a mathematical problem that involves breaking down a rational function into simpler, individual fractions. This is done in order to make the function easier to solve and manipulate.

2. How do you solve a partial fraction question?

To solve a partial fraction question, you must first factor the denominator of the rational function into its linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Then, you must set up a system of equations using the coefficients of each factor. Finally, you solve for the unknown coefficients and combine the fractions to get the final answer.

3. Why do we use partial fractions in mathematics?

Partial fractions are used in mathematics to simplify and solve complex rational functions. They also allow us to integrate certain types of functions more easily, making them a useful tool in calculus and other areas of mathematics.

4. What are the different types of partial fraction questions?

There are two main types of partial fraction questions: proper and improper. Proper partial fractions have a smaller degree in the numerator than in the denominator, while improper partial fractions have a larger degree in the numerator. Each type requires a different approach to solving, but the overall process is the same.

5. How do partial fractions relate to real-life applications?

Partial fractions have many real-life applications, particularly in engineering and physics. They are used to model and solve problems involving circuits, fluid dynamics, and other systems. In finance, partial fractions are used in the calculation of compound interest and other financial functions.