Partial Fractions in Differential Equations

In summary, the given problem involves partial fractions and integration of rational functions. The solution involves finding values for A and B in the partial fraction decomposition and using logarithms to simplify the final equation.
checkmatechamp
I'm a little rusty with partial fractions, and I can't seem to find my error once I get up to that point.

Homework Statement

dy/dx = (y^2 - 1) / x

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Cross-mutliply

x dy = (y^2 - 1) dx

Divide by the appropriate terms

dy / (y^2 - 1) = dx / x

So I'm integrating 1 / (y^2 - 1) dy and 1/x dy

Obviously, the integral of 1/x is ln|x| + c, but I'm having trouble with integrating the y terms. This is what I did so far.

A / (y + 1) + B/ (y - 1) = 1 / (y^2 - 1)

Ay - A + By + B = 1

Combine the y terms and constant terms

A + B = 0 (Since there's no y term)
-A + B = 1

2B = 1

B = 0.5

So I integrate 0.5 / (y - 1) and get 0.5*ln|y - 1|

So that means 0.5*ln|y - 1| = 1/|x| + c

ln|y - 1| = 2/x + c

y - 1 = e^(2/x + c)

y - 1 = e^(2/x) * e^c (which is just a constant)

y = ce^(2/x) + 1

But the thing is that I checked online to find out how to integrate the y term, and found this: http://calc101.com/partial_1.html

My question is: Why does 1 / (y + 1)(y - 1) get split up into 1/(2y - 2) and 1/(2y + 2)? Also, why are they subtracting those 2 terms rather than adding them?

Physics news on Phys.org
You found that B = 1/2, but you forgot to find a value for A. Also notice that ##{0.5 \over (y - 1)} = {1 \over (2y - 2)}##.

verty said:
You found that B = 1/2, but you forgot to find a value for A. Also notice that ##{0.5 \over (y - 1)} = {1 \over (2y - 2)}##.

Wow, I guess I saw that A + B = 0, and somehow thought A was 0.

So if B is 1/2, that means A = -1/2, so I'm integrating -0.5/(y + 1) + 0.5(y - 1), which gets me -0.5*ln|y + 1| + 0.5*ln|y - 1| = ln|x| + c

Multiplying both sides by 2 gets me:

-ln|y + 1| + ln|y - 1| = 2*ln|x| + c

Raise e to both sides.

e^(1/(y + 1)) * e^(y - 1) = e^(2*ln|x| + c)

e^(1/(y + 1)) * e^(y - 1) = e^(2*ln|x|) * e^c

e^(1/(y + 1)) * e^(y - 1) = ce^(2*ln|x|)

Is it possible to get that in explicit form? Or should I divide both sides by e^(2ln|x|) and just leave it in terms of c?

Thank you very much!

checkmatechamp said:
Wow, I guess I saw that A + B = 0, and somehow thought A was 0.

So if B is 1/2, that means A = -1/2, so I'm integrating -0.5/(y + 1) + 0.5(y - 1), which gets me -0.5*ln|y + 1| + 0.5*ln|y - 1| = ln|x| + c

Multiplying both sides by 2 gets me:

-ln|y + 1| + ln|y - 1| = 2*ln|x| + c

Raise e to both sides.

e^(1/(y + 1)) * e^(y - 1) = e^(2*ln|x| + c)

e^(1/(y + 1)) * e^(y - 1) = e^(2*ln|x|) * e^c

e^(1/(y + 1)) * e^(y - 1) = ce^(2*ln|x|)

Is it possible to get that in explicit form? Or should I divide both sides by e^(2ln|x|) and just leave it in terms of c?

Thank you very much!

It is possible to get a closed form solution. That said, it is a little tricky.

You seemed quite eager to get rid of the logs as soon as possible, but the log form is actually easier to work with. Actually, you made a mistake in your algebra. Perhaps look over the log/exponent laws to refresh your knowledge.

Related to Partial Fractions in Differential Equations

1. What are partial fractions in differential equations?

Partial fractions in differential equations involve breaking down a complex fraction into simpler fractions. This is done to make the equation easier to solve and can also help in finding the solution to the differential equation.

2. Why are partial fractions used in differential equations?

Partial fractions are used in differential equations to make the equation easier to solve. By breaking down a complex fraction into simpler fractions, the differential equation becomes more manageable and can often be solved using basic algebraic methods.

3. How do you find the partial fraction decomposition of a fraction?

To find the partial fraction decomposition of a fraction, you must first factor the denominator of the fraction. Then, you set up a system of equations using the coefficients of the simplified fractions and solve for the unknowns. This will give you the partial fraction decomposition of the original fraction.

4. What are the different types of partial fractions?

There are three types of partial fractions: proper, improper, and mixed. Proper fractions have a degree of the numerator that is less than the degree of the denominator. Improper fractions have a degree of the numerator that is equal to or greater than the degree of the denominator. Mixed fractions have both a whole number and a fraction in the numerator.

5. How are partial fractions used to solve differential equations?

Partial fractions are used to solve differential equations by simplifying the equation and making it easier to solve. By breaking down a complex fraction into simpler fractions, the equation can often be solved using basic algebraic methods. This makes the process of solving a differential equation more efficient and accurate.