Particle Collision, conservation of momentum

In summary, the conversation discusses the threshold kinetic energy of a pion particle required to create a kaon particle at a 90 degree angle in the lab frame, given the rest masses of the particles involved. The conservation of momentum and energy equations are used to derive an equation for the threshold energy, and the four-momenta of the particles are examined to determine the condition needed for the threshold energy to be reached.
bobblo

Homework Statement

Consider the reaction pion(+) + neutron --> Kaon(+) + lambda particle(0). The rest masses of the particles are m(pion) = 140MeV,m(n) = 940MeV, m(K) = 494MeV, and m(lambda) = 1115MeV. What is the threshold kinetic energy of the pion particle to create a Kaon at an angle of 90degrees (with respect to its initial direction of motion) in the lab (in which the n is at rest)?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum, P(initial) = P(final) and P² is invariant and = m0²c². Conservation of energy across a certain frame of reference.

The Attempt at a Solution

Well knowing conservation of momentum and P² is invariant, i get an equation P(pion)² + P(kaon)² + P(neutron)² - P(lambda)² = 2[P(n) dot P(K)] - 2[P(pi) dot P(n)] + 2[P(pi) dot P(K)]. The LHS is constant across all frames. I deduce the RHS to be in the lab frame:
2/c²[E(K)E(n) - E(pi)E(n) + E(pi)E(K)]. I figure that because the neutron is at rest, while pion and kaon should be 90degrees apart and thus only their 4th component matter when using the dot product. Here i am stuck because i do not know how to find the energy of the kaon in the lab frame, E(K), in order to find the threshold energy of the pion. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Conservation of momentum gives you

[tex]p_\pi^\mu + p_n^\mu = p_K^\mu + p_\Lambda^\mu[/tex]

It might help to write out explicitly what the components of the four-momenta are. For example, assume the pion is moving in the +x direction with momentum p, you have

[tex]\begin{align*}
p_\pi^\mu & = (E_\pi, p, 0, 0) \\
p_n^\mu & = (m_n,0,0,0)
\end{align*}[/tex]

I think if you write out the four-momenta for the kaon and lambda, it'll become apparent what condition leads to the threshold energy.

Related to Particle Collision, conservation of momentum

1. What is Particle Collision?

Particle collision is the interaction between two or more particles where they come into contact with one another and exchange energy and/or momentum.

2. What is the conservation of momentum?

The conservation of momentum is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision or interaction between particles.

3. How is momentum conserved in a particle collision?

Momentum is conserved in a particle collision because the total momentum of all particles involved in the collision remains the same before and after the collision. This means that the sum of the momenta of each particle is equal before and after the collision.

4. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of particle collision where the total kinetic energy of the particles is conserved. This means that the particles bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

5. What is an inelastic collision?

An inelastic collision is a type of particle collision where the total kinetic energy of the particles is not conserved. This means that some of the energy is lost during the collision, usually in the form of heat or sound.