Particle in semi infinite potential well

In summary, the conversation is about solving the Schrödinger equation for a particle in a semi-infinite potential well. The region outside the well is infinite, so the wave function is equal to zero in that region. The speaker is confused about the general solution for the inside of the well, as they have seen different forms for it in different sources. However, it is clarified that the solutions are equivalent and can be expressed in different bases. The general solution in the lecture notes uses cosine, while the one in the book uses exponential, but they can be transformed into each other.
leonne

Homework Statement

particle moving in the semi infinite potentail well set up and solve SE for the system assume E<Vo

Homework Equations

(-h2/2m) d2[itex]\psi[/itex]/dx2 +v(x)[itex]\psi[/itex]=E[itex]\psi[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

so in reagion one its infinite so [itex]\psi[/itex]=0. reagion 2 is what i am confused about. looking throught the book i saw the gen solution for inside the well to be [itex]\psi[/itex]=Ae(ikx)+Be-(ikx) but for this problem its Acos(kx)+Bsin(kx)
in the book does not really show how it finds the gen solution. I am just a little confused on how you would solve the SE well i know for inside v=0 and i plug that into SE and from that the book just goes to the gen solution
thanks

edit after looking at lecture note i see he uses the cos for the inside , but in they book for the same infinite pot well they use the e^ are they the same?

Physics news on Phys.org
The solutions are equivalent. They're just being expressed in different bases.
\begin{align*}
A e^{ikx} + B e^{-ikx} &= A(\cos kx+i\sin kx)+B(\cos kx-i\sin kx) \\
&= (A+B)\cos kx + i(A-B)\sin kx \\
&= C \cos kx + D \sin kx
\end{align*}Since A and B are arbitrary constants, C=A+B and D=i(A-B) are as well.

o ok thxs

Related to Particle in semi infinite potential well

What is a particle in a semi infinite potential well?

A particle in a semi infinite potential well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined to a finite region that is surrounded by an infinite potential barrier on one side.

What is the significance of a particle in a semi infinite potential well?

The model of a particle in a semi infinite potential well helps us understand the concept of bound states in quantum mechanics and is used to explain various physical phenomena, such as the energy levels of electrons in an atom.

How does the energy of a particle in a semi infinite potential well change?

The energy of a particle in a semi infinite potential well is quantized, meaning it can only take on certain discrete values. As the width of the well increases, the energy levels become closer together, representing a decrease in the particle's confinement and a higher probability of finding the particle outside the well.

What is the wave function of a particle in a semi infinite potential well?

The wave function of a particle in a semi infinite potential well is described by a stationary Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical representation of the particle's probability amplitude. The wave function is a complex-valued function that describes the location and state of the particle within the well.

What are some real-world applications of the concept of a particle in a semi infinite potential well?

The concept of a particle in a semi infinite potential well has many real-world applications, such as in the study of semiconductor devices, where electrons are confined to a potential well created by a junction between two different materials. It is also used in the design of quantum dots, which are tiny structures that can trap electrons and photons for use in quantum computing and telecommunications.