Particle moving in polar coordinates

In summary, the given equations and constants are used to show that the radial acceleration is zero when the turning angle is equal to one over the square root of two radians. This is done by substituting the equations for r and theta into the formula for acceleration and solving for the radial component.
Disserate
Equations given:

r=A[itex]\theta[/itex]

[itex]\theta[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex][itex]\alpha[/itex]t[itex]^{2}[/itex]

A=[itex]\frac{1}{\pi}[/itex] meters per radian

[itex]\alpha[/itex] is a given constant

Asks to show that radial acceleration is zero when [itex]\theta[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex] radians.

I have tried rearranging, plugging in, and deriving to try to solve this problem to no avail. I do not know exactly how to go about doing this. I do desire an answer, but even more do I desire an explanation on how to do this. Also, i apologize for not using the template, but I did not like it very much.

Physics news on Phys.org
Both velocity and acceleration are vectors, having magnitude and direction. The velocity is the time derivative of the position vector and the acceleration is the time derivative of the velocity, or second derivative of the position vector.
You certainly know that in case of uniform circular motion there is centripetal acceleration which is of radial direction, parallel with the position vector, but points towards the centre. But this problem is totally different. It is a spiral, the distance from the centre increases with the turning angle, so there is an extra radial acceleration because of the increase of r.

Do you know how you can write a vector with its polar coordinates, using the polar unit vectors er and eθ? You can read this, especially the part about the derivatives of the position vector r

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/PolarCoordinates.html

The position vector is simply [itex]\vec r=r \vec {e_\theta}[/itex], the velocity is [itex]\vec v=\dot{\vec r}[/itex] and the acceleration is [itex]\vec a=\dot{\vec v}[/itex]

From mathworld, (or from your notes,)you can learn that the acceleration is
[itex]\vec a=(\ddot{r} -r\dot \theta^2)\vec e_r+(2 \dot r \dot \theta+r \ddot {\theta})\vec e_{\theta}[/itex]

The radial component of acceleration is [itex]a_r=(\ddot{r} -r\dot \theta^2)[/itex]

Substitute the given functions for r and theta and do the derivations.

Related to Particle moving in polar coordinates

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional plane using a distance from the origin and an angle from a fixed reference line.

2. How is a particle's position described in polar coordinates?

In polar coordinates, a particle's position is described by its distance from the origin and its angle from a fixed reference line. This is typically represented as (r, θ), where r is the distance and θ is the angle.

3. How is a particle's motion described in polar coordinates?

In order to describe a particle's motion in polar coordinates, we must consider its position, velocity, and acceleration in terms of the polar coordinates (r, θ). This can be done using trigonometry and calculus.

4. What is the relationship between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

There is a direct relationship between polar and Cartesian coordinates. The x-coordinate in Cartesian coordinates is equivalent to rcos(θ) in polar coordinates, and the y-coordinate is equivalent to rsin(θ).

5. How is the path of a particle represented in polar coordinates?

The path of a particle in polar coordinates is represented by a curve on a polar graph. The shape of the curve depends on the particle's motion and can be described using equations and parameters such as velocity, acceleration, and angular velocity.