Particle physics conservation laws

In summary, the strong and electromagnetic forces both conserve isospin, I3 projection, s, c, b, t, baryon number, and lepton flavor. However, the electromagnetic force can also violate isospin if there are particles with different electric charges involved. The weak force, on the other hand, conserves baryon number and lepton flavor, but can violate isospin, I3 projection, s, c, b, and t due to processes like beta decay.
Marthius
I am working on a homework assignment for my particle physics class, and it requires I understand what forces conserve what quantum numbers. As I understand it:
Strong
Conserves Isospin, I3 projection, s, c, b, t, Baryon number, lepton flavor
E&M
Conserves I3 projection, s, c, b, t, Baryon number, lepton flavor
Can Violate Isospin
Weak
Conserves Baryon number, lepton flavor
Can Violate Isospin, I3 projection, s, c, b, t,

Please let me know if this is correct, or if I have made a mistake.
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
!

Hello,

Thank you for your question. You are correct that the strong and electromagnetic forces conserve isospin, I3 projection, s, c, b, t, baryon number, and lepton flavor. However, it is important to note that electromagnetic force can violate isospin if there are particles involved with different electric charges.

On the other hand, the weak force conserves baryon number and lepton flavor, but it can violate isospin, I3 projection, s, c, b, and t. This is because the weak force is responsible for processes such as beta decay, which can change the flavor of a particle.

I hope this clarifies any confusion you may have had. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck with your assignment!

Related to Particle physics conservation laws

1. What are the fundamental conservation laws in particle physics?

The fundamental conservation laws in particle physics are the conservation of energy, momentum, electric charge, baryon number, and lepton number. These laws state that these quantities must remain constant in any particle interactions.

2. How do conservation laws impact particle interactions?

Conservation laws play a crucial role in determining the possible outcomes of particle interactions. They restrict the types of particles that can be produced, the energies and momenta of the particles involved, and the overall charge and numbers of particles in the interaction.

3. Can conservation laws be violated?

No, conservation laws are considered to be fundamental principles of nature and have been extensively tested and confirmed through experiments. Any violation of these laws would require a significant change in our understanding of the universe.

4. Are there any exceptions to conservation laws in particle physics?

There are certain situations in which conservation laws may appear to be violated, but these are usually due to limitations in our ability to measure all of the particles and energies involved. In these cases, the laws still hold true, but our understanding may be incomplete.

5. How do conservation laws relate to the Standard Model of particle physics?

The Standard Model is a theoretical framework that describes the fundamental particles and their interactions. Conservation laws are an integral part of this model and are used to predict and explain the behavior of particles in various interactions.