Pauli Equation - Simple operator algebra question

In summary, the student is trying to solve a problem involving a vector product, but can't seem to get it right. After some research, they realize that the problem is due to a mistake in the derivation, and fix it.
karkas

Homework Statement

I am watching a course on Relativistic Quantum Mechanics to freshen up, and I have found to have some issues regarding simple operator algebra. This particular issue on the Pauli Equation (generalization of the Schrodinger equation that includes spin corrections) in an electromagnetic field, arises from the cross product of a linear combination of operators, as shown below (and in the video link - time 18:18)

I understand that when the operators don't commute, the cross product isn't zero, but how is it shown explicitly that the only non-trivial effect is the [itex] \vec{p}\times\vec{A} [/itex] that survives? What about the other term diagonal in the two operators?

Homework Equations

[tex] \left(\vec{p}-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\right)\left(\vec{p}-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\right)=\frac{i\hbar e}{c}
\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{A} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been arguing why the second term [itex] \propto \vec{A}\times\vec{p} [/itex] won't contribute but can't seem to reach it. Thinking about a crutch function didn't quite help as well. I'm pretty sure this is simple but can't think of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems I've pretty much forgot all of my vector calculus as well as operator priorities. I got the right thing though after some research on my textbooks

Rule 7 on Griffiths E-M: [itex] \vec{\nabla}\times\left(f\cdot\vec{A}\right)=f\left(\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{A}\right)-\vec{A}\times\left(\vec{\nabla}\cdot f\right) [/itex]
Also the priority of operator action starts from the left and encompasses all through to right, so our action should be:
[tex] \left[\left(\vec{p}-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\right)\left(\vec{p}-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\right)\right]g=-\frac{e}{c}\vec{p}\times\left(\vec{A}g\right)-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\times\left(\vec{p}g\right)=i\hbar\frac{e}{c}\vec{\nabla}\times\left(\vec{A}g\right)+i\hbar\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\times\left(\vec{\nabla}g\right)=i\hbar\frac{e}{c}g\left(\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{A}\right)-i\hbar\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\times\left(\vec{\nabla}g\right)+i\hbar\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\times\left(\vec{\nabla}g\right)=i\hbar\frac{e}{c}\left(\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{A}\right)g [/tex]

Correct me if I'm wrong, otherwise I think it's done with.

If the vector multiplication in the left side of
$$
\left(\vec{p}-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\right)\left(\vec{p}-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\right)=\frac{i\hbar e}{c}
\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{A}
$$
is actually a cross product, then your derivation is correct.

blue_leaf77 said:
If the vector multiplication in the left side of
$$
\left(\vec{p}-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\right)\left(\vec{p}-\frac{e}{c}\vec{A}\right)=\frac{i\hbar e}{c}
\vec{\nabla}\times\vec{A}
$$
is actually a cross product, then your derivation is correct.

Ah, a misprint, will fix, thank you for the confirmation!

What is the Pauli Equation and what does it describe?

The Pauli Equation, also known as the Pauli Hamiltonian, is a quantum mechanical equation that describes the behavior of a spin-1/2 particle in an external electromagnetic field. It is often used to study the properties of electrons in atoms and molecules.

What is the difference between the Pauli Equation and the Schrödinger Equation?

The Pauli Equation takes into account the spin of a particle, while the Schrödinger Equation does not. This makes the Pauli Equation more accurate for describing the behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons.

How is the Pauli Equation derived?

The Pauli Equation is derived from the Dirac Equation, which was developed to describe the behavior of relativistic particles. By making certain approximations and simplifications, the Pauli Equation can be obtained.

What is the significance of the Pauli Equation in physics?

The Pauli Equation is an important tool in understanding the behavior of particles with spin, such as electrons. It is also used in studying the properties of atoms and molecules, and has applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, condensed matter physics, and nuclear physics.

What is a simple operator algebra question that can be solved using the Pauli Equation?

A common question that can be solved using the Pauli Equation is finding the energy levels of an electron in a hydrogen atom. By using the Pauli Hamiltonian and solving for the eigenvalues, the energy levels can be determined.