PDB file using GAUSSIAN 16 optimization

In summary, to obtain the PDB format after optimizing a ligand molecule using Gaussian 16, you can use the Gaussian 16 Conversion utility or other online tools such as OpenBabel. By using these tools, you can convert the .chk file into a PDB format by either opening the file in the utility or uploading it on the online tool and selecting the output format as PDB.
chmenaive
TL;DR Summary
PDB files for docking( gaussian 16 - DFT optimization)
Hello There,

I am studying docking of ligand molecules into DNA using Autodock Vina. Before doing that I optimize the ligand molecule using Gaussian 16. I want to know how can we get the PDB format after optimization. Do I just need to open the .chk file and save it as PDB format or do I need to do some additional steps to convert it into PDB format after optimization. I will appreciate if you can please guide.

Thank you for your time.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
To get the PDB format after optimization, you can use the Gaussian 16 Conversion utility which is available for free download. This utility can convert the .chk file into a PDB format. You will need to open the .chk file in this utility and save the file as a PDB format. Alternatively, you can also use other online tools such as OpenBabel to convert the .chk file into a PDB format. All you need to do is upload the .chk file on the tool and select the output format as PDB. I hope this information helps.

1. What is a PDB file?

A PDB (Protein Data Bank) file is a file format used to store structural information about molecules, such as proteins, nucleic acids, and small molecules. It contains information about the atoms, bonds, and geometry of the molecule.

2. What is GAUSSIAN 16 optimization?

GAUSSIAN 16 optimization is a computational method used to find the lowest energy structure of a molecule. It uses quantum mechanical calculations to optimize the positions of the atoms in a molecule, taking into account their electronic interactions and minimizing the overall energy of the system.

3. How is a PDB file used in GAUSSIAN 16 optimization?

A PDB file is used as the input for GAUSSIAN 16 optimization. The file contains the initial coordinates of the atoms in the molecule, which are then optimized by GAUSSIAN 16 to find the lowest energy structure.

4. What is the purpose of using GAUSSIAN 16 optimization on a PDB file?

The purpose of using GAUSSIAN 16 optimization on a PDB file is to obtain the most accurate and stable structure of a molecule. This is important for understanding the properties and behavior of the molecule, as well as for designing experiments or developing new drugs.

5. Are there any limitations to using GAUSSIAN 16 optimization on a PDB file?

Yes, there are limitations to using GAUSSIAN 16 optimization on a PDB file. The accuracy of the results depends on the quality of the initial PDB file, and the size and complexity of the molecule. Additionally, GAUSSIAN 16 optimization may not be suitable for certain types of molecules, such as those with highly reactive or unstable structures.