PDE, 2D Laplace Equation, Sep. of Variables, Finding Potential

In summary, using separation of variables and the general solutions for 2D Laplace equation, the potential V(x, y, z) inside the square rectangular pipe with boundary conditions (i) V=0 at y=0, (ii) V=0 at y=a, (iii) V=constant at x=a, and (iv) dV/dx=0 at x=0 can be found by setting C=0 and using the derivative of the general solution to determine a relationship between A and B.
trncell

Homework Statement

A square rectangular pipe (sides of length a) runs parallel to the z-axis (from [itex]-\infty\rightarrow\infty[/itex]). The 4 sides are maintained with boundary conditions
(i) V=0 at y=0 (bottom)
(ii) V=0 at y=a (top)
(iii) V=constant at x=a (right side)
(iv) [tex]\frac{\partial V}{\partial x}=0[/tex] at x=0 (left side).
Use separation of variables to find the potential V(x, y, z) inside the pipe.

Homework Equations

General solutions for 2D Laplace equation
[tex] X(x)=Ae^{kx}+Be^{-kx}\qquad Y(y)=C\cos ky+D\sin ky[/tex] where A, B, C, and D are constants.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know since that C=0 in order to satisfy the boundary conditions V=0 for y=0 and y=a. I however do not know how to satisfy the boundary condition for the left side where dV/dx=0.
This is what I've tried:
[tex]\frac{d}{dx}[Ae^{kx}+Be^{-kx}]=kAe^{kx}-kBe^{-kx}[/tex]
and set A=0 because [itex]kAe^{kx}[/itex] does not go to zero.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Set the derivative equal to 0. This gives you a relationship between A and B.

Related to PDE, 2D Laplace Equation, Sep. of Variables, Finding Potential

1. What is a PDE (Partial Differential Equation)?

A PDE is an equation that involves the partial derivatives of a function with respect to multiple independent variables. It is used to describe relationships between multiple variables and their rates of change.

2. What is the 2D Laplace Equation?

The 2D Laplace Equation is a special type of PDE that describes the behavior of a scalar field in two dimensions. It is often used to model physical phenomena such as temperature distribution or electrical potential.

3. What is the method of separation of variables?

The method of separation of variables is a technique used to solve PDEs by breaking them down into simpler ordinary differential equations. This involves assuming a solution of the form of a product of functions of individual variables, and then solving each equation separately.

4. How is the potential function determined from the Laplace Equation?

The potential function is determined by solving the Laplace Equation using the method of separation of variables. Once the equation is simplified into ordinary differential equations, the potential function can be found by solving these equations and combining the solutions.

5. What are some applications of finding potential using the Laplace Equation?

The Laplace Equation and the method of separation of variables have many applications in physics and engineering. Some examples include modeling heat transfer, fluid flow, and electrostatics. It is also used in the study of diffusion processes and quantum mechanics.