PDE: Annulus question, Steady State Temperature

In summary, a PDE (Partial Differential Equation) is an equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives, commonly used in mathematical modeling for physical phenomena. The "Annulus question" in a PDE refers to a specific type of problem where the domain is an annulus, seen in applications related to heat transfer or diffusion in a circular or cylindrical space. "Steady State Temperature" in a PDE refers to a state where the temperature remains constant over time, indicating thermal equilibrium. The solution to a PDE with an annulus domain is typically obtained using separation of variables, with numerous real-world applications in physics and engineering such as modeling heat and fluid flow in circular systems and predicting electromagnetic wave behavior in circular waveguides.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Suppose the inner side of the annulus {(r,Φ): r_0 ≤ r ≤ 1} is insulated and the outer side is held at temperature u(1,0) = f(Φ).

a) Find the steady-state temperature
b) What is the solution if f(Φ) = 1+2sinΦ ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
A = {(rcosΦ,rsinΦ): r_0 ≤ r ≤ 1}
We have the conditions

U_rr + r^(-1)*U_r+r^(-2)*U_ΦΦ = 0 in A
U(1,Φ) = f(Φ)
U(r_0,Φ) = g(Φ)

Φ"+v^2Φ = 0
ϑ^2R"+rR'-v^2R = 0

Φ => e^(ivΦ) , v= 0,+/-1, +/-2, ...

r = a)n*r^v+b_n*r^(-v)

Hence, u(r,Φ) = ∑ c_n * r^(|n|)*e^(inΦ)

We know that
C_n = 1/(2*pi) integral from -pi to pi f(Φ)e^(-inΦ)dΦ

u(r,Φ) = ∑C_n * ( (r^n+r_0^(2n)*r^(-n)) / (1+r_0^(2n)) * e^(inΦ))

That is the answer for part a. Finding the steady state temperature.

My question is how did we get to that messy r fraction part. We see what I stated r to equal, and we know cn is right based off Fourier coefficients.

WE went from u(r,Φ) = ∑ c_n * r^(|n|)*e^(inΦ)
to u(r,Φ) = ∑C_n * ( (r^n+r_0^(2n)*r^(-n)) / (1+r_0^(2n)) * e^(inΦ))

Must I use the Poisson Kernel?

b) b is a little tougher for me to understand.

answer is u(r,Φ) = 1+2*((r^2+r_0^2)/ (r(1+r_0^2))) sinΦ

I started off by analyzing the c_n by inputting f(Φ) = 1+2sinΦ
we get that the integral =
Screen Shot 2016-03-12 at 11.33.05 PM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Suppose the inner side of the annulus {(r,Φ): r_0 ≤ r ≤ 1} is insulated and the outer side is held at temperature u(1,0) = f(Φ).

a) Find the steady-state temperature
b) What is the solution if f(Φ) = 1+2sinΦ ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
A = {(rcosΦ,rsinΦ): r_0 ≤ r ≤ 1}
We have the conditions

U_rr + r^(-1)*U_r+r^(-2)*U_ΦΦ = 0 in A
U(1,Φ) = f(Φ)
U(r_0,Φ) = g(Φ)

Does not "the inner boundary is insulated" mean that [itex]\frac{\partial u}{\partial r} = 0[/itex] on [itex]r = r_0[/itex]?

Φ"+v^2Φ = 0
ϑ^2R"+rR'-v^2R = 0

Φ => e^(ivΦ) , v= 0,+/-1, +/-2, ...

r = a)n*r^v+b_n*r^(-v)

Hence, u(r,Φ) = ∑ c_n * r^(|n|)*e^(inΦ)

Umm... no. I'm happy with assuming a solution of the form [tex]
u(r,\phi) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty c_n R_n(r)e^{in\phi}
[/tex] where [tex]u(1,\phi) = f(\phi) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty c_ne^{in\phi}[/tex] and the [itex]R_n[/itex] are an as yet unspecified sequence of functions, but [itex]R_n = r^{|n|}[/itex] is not the solution you are looking for as it doesn't satisfy the boundary condition on [itex]r = r_0[/itex].

We know that
C_n = 1/(2*pi) integral from -pi to pi f(Φ)e^(-inΦ)dΦ

u(r,Φ) = ∑C_n * ( (r^n+r_0^(2n)*r^(-n)) / (1+r_0^(2n)) * e^(inΦ))

That is the answer for part a. Finding the steady state temperature.

My question is how did we get to that messy r fraction part. We see what I stated r to equal, and we know cn is right based off Fourier coefficients

WE went from u(r,Φ) = ∑ c_n * r^(|n|)*e^(inΦ)
to u(r,Φ) = ∑C_n * ( (r^n+r_0^(2n)*r^(-n)) / (1+r_0^(2n)) * e^(inΦ))

If [itex]u(r,\phi) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^\infty c_n R_n(r) e^{in\phi}[/itex] and [itex]f(\phi) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} c_ne^{in\phi}[/itex] then [itex]R_n[/itex] is the solution of the boundary value problem [tex]
\frac{1}{r}\frac{d}{dr}\left(r\frac{dR_n}{dr}\right) - \frac{n^2 R_n}{r^2} = 0[/tex] subject to [itex]R_n(1) = 1[/itex] and [itex]R_n'(r_0) = 0[/itex], obtained by substituting the series definition of [itex]u[/itex] into Laplace's equation and considering the coefficients of [itex]e^{in\phi}[/itex].

Now there are two points to note:

(1) The BVP for [itex]n > 0[/itex] is the same as that for [itex]-n < 0[/itex] and therefore they have the same solution: [itex]R_n = R_{|n|}[/itex].

(2) The BVP for [itex]n = 0[/itex] is a special case.

Thus we have [tex]
u(r,\phi) = c_0R_0(r) + \sum_{n=1}^\infty (c_n e^{in\phi} + c_{-n}e^{-in\phi}) R_n(r)[/tex] which is easily rearranged into [tex]
u(r,\phi) = c_0R_0(r) + \sum_{n=1}^\infty (a_n \cos n\phi + b_n \sin n\phi) R_n(r)[/tex] if that's more convenient, and I'll let you go back and solve the BVPs for [itex]R_n[/itex] for [itex]n \geq 0[/itex].

Must I use the Poisson Kernel?

b) b is a little tougher for me to understand.

answer is u(r,Φ) = 1+2*((r^2+r_0^2)/ (r(1+r_0^2))) sinΦ

I started off by analyzing the c_n by inputting f(Φ) = 1+2sinΦ
we get that the integral =
View attachment 97271

The Fourier series of [itex]1 + 2 \sin \phi[/itex] is, astoundingly, [itex]1 + 2 \sin \phi[/itex]. Substitute this into the general solution.

Last edited:
Likes RJLiberator

1. What is a PDE?

A PDE stands for Partial Differential Equation, which is an equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is commonly used in mathematical modeling to describe physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism.

2. What is the "Annulus question" in a PDE?

The "Annulus question" refers to a specific type of PDE problem where the domain of the equation is an annulus, which is a region bounded by two concentric circles. This type of problem is commonly seen in applications related to heat transfer or diffusion in a circular or cylindrical space.

3. What does "Steady State Temperature" mean in a PDE?

In a PDE, "Steady State Temperature" refers to a state where the temperature of a system remains constant over time. This means that the system has reached a thermal equilibrium, and there is no net flow of heat within the system. In other words, the partial derivative with respect to time is equal to zero.

4. How is the solution to a PDE with an annulus domain typically obtained?

The solution to a PDE with an annulus domain is typically obtained using separation of variables. This involves expressing the solution as a product of two functions, one that depends only on the radial variable and one that depends only on the angular variable. The resulting equations can then be solved using standard techniques such as Fourier series or the method of eigenfunction expansion.

5. What are some real-world applications of PDEs with annulus domains?

PDEs with annulus domains have numerous applications in physics and engineering. Some examples include modeling the flow of heat or fluid in a circular pipe, analyzing the temperature distribution in a circular plate or disc, and predicting the behavior of electromagnetic waves in a circular waveguide. These equations are also commonly used in the design and optimization of various mechanical and electrical systems.