Steady Heat Eqn between two cylinders

It is also important to carefully examine the physical implications of the solution and ensure that it is realistic and physically meaningful.
member 428835

Homework Statement

A cylinder is well-insulated at the base and sides (radially). No heat sources and assume steady state. All other BCs are free (I'm aware the problem is underconstrained). Then we have

$$\nabla^2 f = 0\\
\partial_rf(r=R_0) = \partial_rf(r=R_1) = 0\\
\partial_z f(z=0) = 0\\
f(\theta = 0) = f(\theta = 2\pi)\\
\partial_\theta f(\theta = 0) = \partial_\theta f(\theta = 2\pi)$$

where the first line of BCs imply well-insulated radially, the second implies well insulated at the base, and the third implies continuous heat distribution.

Homework Equations

Separation of variables, which I guess isn't an equation.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'll make the ansatz ##f_1 = A R(r)\cos(\omega \theta)\cos(k z)## and ##f_2 = BR(r)\sin(\omega \theta)\cos(k z)## where ##\omega = n / 2\pi:n\in\mathbb N##. ##k## it seems is free. Plugging ##f_1,f_2## into ##\nabla^2 f = 0## gives two linear dependent ODE's in ##R(r)##. Solutions to both ODEs (Mathematica) are Bessell functions with the imaginary number ##i## in the argument.

I am unable to enforce the radial flux condition. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org

I would first point out that the problem is indeed underconstrained, as stated in the original post. This means that there are potentially infinite solutions that could satisfy the given boundary conditions. Therefore, any proposed solution should be carefully examined to ensure that it is physically meaningful and realistic.

In terms of finding a solution, I agree with the approach of using separation of variables. However, in order to satisfy the radial flux condition, we need to consider the full Fourier series expansion for the radial component of the solution. This means that instead of just considering the cosine and sine terms in the ansatz, we should also include the constant term and the full set of cosine and sine terms with different frequencies (i.e. ##\cos(n\theta)## and ##\sin(n\theta)## where ##n## is a positive integer).

By doing this, we can ensure that the radial flux condition is satisfied at both boundaries (##r=R_0## and ##r=R_1##). However, we will also need to consider the other boundary conditions (##f(\theta=0) = f(\theta=2\pi)## and ##\partial_\theta f(\theta=0) = \partial_\theta f(\theta=2\pi)##) in order to determine the appropriate coefficients for each term in the Fourier series.

Ultimately, the solution will involve a combination of Bessel functions and trigonometric functions, and the specific form will depend on the values of the coefficients determined by the boundary conditions. It is important to carefully consider the physical implications of each term in the solution and ensure that it makes sense in the context of the problem.

In summary, the key to enforcing the radial flux condition is to consider the full Fourier series expansion for the radial component of the solution and use the boundary conditions to determine the appropriate coefficients for each term.

1. What is the steady heat equation between two cylinders?

The steady heat equation between two cylinders is a mathematical equation that describes the transfer of heat between two cylindrical objects in a steady state. It takes into account the temperature difference between the two cylinders, as well as their thermal conductivity and surface area.

2. How is the steady heat equation between two cylinders used in scientific research?

The steady heat equation between two cylinders is often used in scientific research to model heat transfer in various systems, such as heat exchangers, refrigeration systems, and thermal insulation. It can also be used to optimize the design of these systems for maximum efficiency.

3. What are the assumptions made in the steady heat equation between two cylinders?

Some of the assumptions made in the steady heat equation between two cylinders include: 1) the cylinders are in thermal equilibrium, 2) the temperature difference between the two cylinders is small, 3) the thermal conductivity of the cylinders is constant, and 4) the heat transfer is one-dimensional.

4. How is the steady heat equation between two cylinders derived?

The steady heat equation between two cylinders is derived from the general heat conduction equation, which describes heat transfer in a medium. By applying boundary and initial conditions specific to the two cylindrical objects, the equation can be simplified to account for only the heat transfer between the two cylinders.

5. Can the steady heat equation between two cylinders be applied to non-cylindrical objects?

The steady heat equation between two cylinders is a specific case of the general heat conduction equation, which can be applied to any object or system as long as certain assumptions and conditions are met. However, the equation may need to be modified to account for the shape and dimensions of the non-cylindrical objects.