PDE discretization for semi-infinite boundary?

In summary: This is called the method of lines.In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of discretizing infinite boundaries for solving the standard heat equation numerically. The solution involves using a coordinate transformation to map the semi-infinite domain to a finite one. Other techniques such as similarity solutions and the method of lines are also mentioned.
maistral
Hi. Been a while since I logged in here, I missed this place.

Anyway, I have a question (title). Is that even possible?

Say for example I have the standard heat equation (PDE) subject to the boundary conditions:
T(0,t) = To
T(∞,t) = Ti

And the initial condition:
T(0,t) = Ti

I am aware of how to solve this analytically. I would like to try solving it numerically - using finite difference methods. However, I have no idea how will I discretize something that is infinite...

What I did is assume x to be a gigantic value (which would become very unwieldy if my spatial step is something like 0.0001). Then, at the final spatial point, either I assume that the derivative is zero (because apparently if I compare it with the analytical solution by having t = a very large value, then run the numerical simulation for a very long time, both dependent values will become To) or just set the value to be equal to Ti (but I run at the difficulty of having the last point still equal to Ti at large time values).

So my question is: How is it possible to discretize infinite boundaries effectively? Thanks!

PS: I know that this is graduate-level math, but please talk to me in layman's language. I easily get inebriated if you guys bring out complex terms suddenly. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to use a coordinate transformation of the PDE such that the domain ##[0,\infty)## maps to ##[0,1]##. The early paper of Grosh and Orszag on this issue mention some other ideas as well:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/222460408_Numerical_solution_of_problems_in_unbounded_regions_Coordinate_transforms
And in this paper they call this technique compactification:
https://philippelefloch.files.wordpress.com/2010/07/2010-july-anil-zenginoglu.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes maistral
I knew it. Coordinate transformation :|

That's the thing I'm trying to avoid actually. Thanks a lot.

As time progresses, the solution propagates into the semi-infinite slab more and more deeply. So, unless you just want to accept the idea that, beyond a certain amount of time, the solution is going to become inaccurate, you need to use a coordinate transformation. If you want to do it analytically, then you can develop the so-called similarity solution. If you are doing it numerically, then you need to map the spatial coordinates so they stretch with respect to time in proportion to the square root of time.

1. What is PDE discretization for semi-infinite boundary?

PDE discretization for semi-infinite boundary refers to the process of approximating a partial differential equation (PDE) with a finite number of discrete equations, taking into account a boundary that extends to infinity. This is commonly used in mathematical modeling and numerical analysis to solve PDEs with infinite boundaries.

2. Why is PDE discretization important for semi-infinite boundaries?

PDE discretization for semi-infinite boundaries is important because it allows us to find numerical solutions for PDEs that have infinite boundaries, which cannot be solved analytically. This is useful in many fields, such as engineering, physics, and finance, where PDEs with semi-infinite boundaries are commonly encountered.

3. What methods are commonly used for PDE discretization for semi-infinite boundaries?

There are several methods that can be used for PDE discretization for semi-infinite boundaries, including finite difference methods, finite element methods, spectral methods, and boundary element methods. The choice of method depends on the specific problem and the desired accuracy of the solution.

4. What are the challenges of PDE discretization for semi-infinite boundaries?

One of the main challenges of PDE discretization for semi-infinite boundaries is determining an appropriate boundary condition at infinity. This can greatly affect the accuracy and stability of the numerical solution. Another challenge is choosing an appropriate discretization method and mesh size to balance accuracy and computational cost.

5. What are some applications of PDE discretization for semi-infinite boundaries?

PDE discretization for semi-infinite boundaries has many applications in various fields. It is commonly used in heat transfer problems, groundwater flow modeling, and financial option pricing. It is also used in image processing and computer graphics for edge detection and image reconstruction.