PDE Heat Equation 2 Dimensions

In summary: Begin by writing down the heat equation, then substitute ##F(x,y,t)## in place of ##u## in the heat equation and see what you get.
RJLiberator
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Show that if v(x,t) and w(y,t) are solutions of the 1-dimensional heat equation (v_t = k*v_xx and w_t = k*w_yy), then u(x,y,t) = v(x,t)w(y,t) satisfies the 2-dimensional heat equation. Can you generalize to 3 dimensions? Is the same result true for solutions of the wave equation?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no idea what I am doing. This is all very interesting and it SEEMS like it should be answered by a "oh, yes, that's obvious just do this" quick few lines.

But I'm so foreign with my PDE course that this is causing great stress.

I need a start, if you can tell me what I should look at, or where I should start, please do so. I will attack it then.

Physics news on Phys.org
RJLiberator said:

Homework Statement

Show that if v(x,t) and w(y,t) are solutions of the 1-dimensional heat equation (v_t = k*v_xx and w_t = k*w_yy), then u(x,y,t) = v(x,t)w(y,t) satisfies the 2-dimensional heat equation. Can you generalize to 3 dimensions? Is the same result true for solutions of the wave equation?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly, I have no idea what I am doing. This is all very interesting and it SEEMS like it should be answered by a "oh, yes, that's obvious just do this" quick few lines.

But I'm so foreign with my PDE course that this is causing great stress.

I need a start, if you can tell me what I should look at, or where I should start, please do so. I will attack it then.

Step 1: write down the 2D heat equation for a general function u(x,y,t).
Step 2: plug in the suggested form for u(x,y,t) to see if it "works".

Likes RJLiberator
I agree with your method and can see that this problem isn't that hard... once you understand the heat equation.

I am searching now for more information on the 2D heat equation.

A good starting point?

Homogeneous Dirichlet B.C.:

Screen Shot 2016-03-10 at 9.00.43 PM.png

RJLiberator said:
A good starting point?

Homogeneous Dirichlet B.C.:

View attachment 97157

Not much of a start I'd say. A better start would be to write down what you are given, then write down what you are to prove. Then you could start working on it...

Likes RJLiberator
@LCKurtz ,

I have an extension on this assignment.

I am going to go through some intense studying tonight and I will report back with my updated tries for this problem and the other PDE problem I posted.

Thank you for your guidance thus far! Hopefully I come through.

@Ray Vickson
The 2D heat equation I am wondering what this means.

I have the 1d heat equation as follows:
u_t =k∇^2u
u(x,t) = k*∇^2u

is the 2d heat equation just
u(x,y,t) = k*(uxx+kuyy)

?

Separation of variable yiels
T'/(K*T) = X''/X = Y''/Y = -v^2

Last edited:
RJLiberator said:
@Ray Vickson
The 2D heat equation I am wondering what this means.

I have the 1d heat equation as follows:
u_t =k∇^2u
u(x,t) = k*∇^2u

is the 2d heat equation just
u(x,y,t) = k*(uxx+kuyy)

?

You mean ##u_t = k(u_{xx}+u_{yy})##, but, yes, that is what it means.

Separation of variable yiels
T'/(K*T) = X''/X = Y''/Y = -v^2

This problem has nothing to do with separation of variables. Start by following my advice in post #5.

Likes RJLiberator
Okay, what do we know?

Well, we know the 2 dimension heat equation now:
u(x,y,t) = k(U_xx+U_yy)
we know u(x,y,t) = v(x,t)w(y,t) from problem description.

we know
V_t = k*V_xx and w_t=k*w_yy

Do we set:
v(x,t)w(y,t) = k(U_xx+U_yy)

The thing that is confusing me is the left hand side, how do I work with a function of this nature.

It is very bad form, not to mention confusing, when you use both u and U and v and V to represent the same thing as you have done below. Don't do that.

RJLiberator said:
Okay, what do we know?

Well, we know the 2 dimension heat equation now:
u(x,y,t) = k(U_xx+U_yy)
we know u(x,y,t) = v(x,t)w(y,t) from problem description.

I wouldn't call that u(x,y,t) because it suggests it is the same u in the heat equation. Call it something new like$$F(x,y,t) = v(x,t)w(y,t)$$
The question is whether or not ##F(x,y,t)## satisfies the heat equation ##u_t = k(u_{xx} + u_{yy})##.

we know
V_t = k*V_xx and w_t=k*w_yy

Do we set:
v(x,t)w(y,t) = k(U_xx+U_yy)
No. You plug ##F(x,y,t)## into the heat equation and see if what you are given makes it work.

Last edited:
Likes RJLiberator

Related to PDE Heat Equation 2 Dimensions

1. What is the PDE Heat Equation in 2 Dimensions?

The PDE Heat Equation in 2 Dimensions is a partial differential equation that describes the flow of heat in a two-dimensional space. It is commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to model heat transfer and temperature distribution in various systems.

2. What are the variables in the PDE Heat Equation in 2 Dimensions?

The PDE Heat Equation in 2 Dimensions has three variables: time (t), and two spatial variables (x and y). These variables represent the change in temperature over time and the temperature distribution in the two-dimensional space, respectively.

3. How is the PDE Heat Equation in 2 Dimensions solved?

The PDE Heat Equation in 2 Dimensions is solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and numerical methods like finite difference or finite element methods. The appropriate technique depends on the specific boundary conditions and initial conditions of the problem.

4. What are the applications of the PDE Heat Equation in 2 Dimensions?

The PDE Heat Equation in 2 Dimensions is used in many real-world applications, including the design of heat exchangers, thermal management of electronic devices, and predicting the temperature distribution in buildings and other structures. It is also used in geophysics to model heat flow in the Earth's crust and atmosphere.

5. What are the limitations of the PDE Heat Equation in 2 Dimensions?

The PDE Heat Equation in 2 Dimensions has some limitations, such as assuming steady-state conditions and neglecting any heat sources or sinks. It also does not account for the effects of convection or radiation, which may be significant in some situations. Additionally, the equation may become more complex when considering materials with variable thermal properties or non-uniform boundaries.