Periodic BC's of heat equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the heat equation with periodic boundary conditions and seeks to find the stable state solution using a transformation to complex variables. However, when applying the boundary conditions, the resulting solution contains both real and complex components, indicating a potential error in the steps taken. A possible solution is suggested using the identity $\frac{1}{z} = \frac{z^*}{zz^*} = \frac{z^*}{|z|^2}$ and clarifies the use of "periodic boundary conditions."
Panphobia

Homework Statement

I have the heat equation
$$u_t=u_{xx}$$
$$u(0,t)=0$$
$$u(1,t) = \cos(\omega t)$$
$$u(x,0)=f(x)$$
Find the stable state solution.

The Attempt at a Solution

I used a transformation to complex to solve this problem, and then I can just take the real part to the complex solution to solve this problem. I want a steady state periodic solution. So the new problem is
$$v_t=v_{xx}$$
$$v(0,t)=0$$
$$v(1,t) = e^{i\omega t}$$
$$v(x,0)=f(x)$$
Using separation of variables, solving for T(t) and X(x) we get $$T(t) = Ce^{i\omega t}$$ and $$X(x) = Ae^{\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2}} (1+ i)x} +Be^{-\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2}} (1+ i)x}$$ but the first BC gives us $$B=-A$$, and without applying the second BC we get

$$v(x,t) = X(x)T(t) = A\bigg(e^{\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2}} (1+ i)x} -e^{-\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2}} (1+ i)x}\bigg)e^{i \omega t}$$

Now if I apply the second BC $$v(1,t)=e^{i\omega t}$$, I get $$ A =\frac{1}{e^{\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2}} (1+ i)} -e^{-\sqrt{\frac{\omega}{2}} (1+ i)}}$$. Then I can't separate out a real solution because the denominator is split up into a real and complex solution. Did I go wrong somewhere in my steps? I know I can solve it a different way, but the question in the textbook told me to do it this way.

Physics news on Phys.org
The following identity may be of interest:
$$
\frac{1}{z} = \frac{z^*}{zz^*} = \frac{z^*}{|z|^2}
$$

Also, note that ”periodic boundary conditions” would typically be used to refer to problems that are periodic in x, such as the heat equation on a circle.

1. What are Periodic Boundary Conditions (BC's) of the heat equation?

Periodic BC's of the heat equation refer to a set of conditions that describe the behavior of heat flow on a periodic boundary, where the temperature at one end of the boundary is equal to the temperature at the other end. This means that the heat flow is continuous and does not change abruptly at the boundary.

2. Why are Periodic BC's important in studying heat flow?

Periodic BC's are important because they allow for the study of heat flow in systems with repeating patterns, such as a circular or cylindrical shape. They also help simplify the mathematical equations used to model heat flow, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of heat in these systems.

3. What are some examples of systems that exhibit Periodic BC's?

Examples of systems that exhibit Periodic BC's include a circular metal rod that is heated on one side and cooled on the other, a cylindrical pipe with fluid flowing through it, and a square metal plate with heat sources at the corners.

4. How do Periodic BC's differ from other types of boundary conditions?

Periodic BC's differ from other types of boundary conditions, such as Dirichlet and Neumann BC's, in that they describe the behavior of heat flow on a boundary with a repeating pattern. Dirichlet BC's specify the temperature at the boundary, while Neumann BC's specify the heat flux at the boundary.

5. Can Periodic BC's be applied to non-linear heat equations?

Yes, Periodic BC's can be applied to non-linear heat equations. In these cases, the boundary conditions may change as the temperature changes, but they will still exhibit the same periodic behavior. This allows for the study of more complex systems where the temperature distribution is not constant over time.