Peak of the amplitude resonance curve

In summary, the peak of the amplitude resonance curve is at wd = w0√(1-1/2Q^2), where Q = w0/γ. The equation for this is x''+γx'+(w0^2)x=F/m(cos(wdt)) and amplitude = A(wd)=(F/m)/√(((w0^2-wd^2)^2)+((γwd)^2))
horserider37
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Hi everyone, I'm stuck on how to show the peak of the amplitude resonance curve is at wd = w0√(1-1/2Q^2), where Q = w0/γ. My first instinct is to take a derivative of something and set = 0, but what eqn?Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are quoting a whole bunch of symbols. In what equation(s) do these symbols appear?

Is this a homework problem or part thereof?

It's part of a textbook problem.

It's damped and driven harmonic oscillators - there's lots of equations but I think the relevant ones are x''+γx'+(w0^2)x=F/m(cos(wdt))
and
amplitude = A(wd)=(F/m)/√(((w0^2-wd^2)^2)+((γwd)^2))

but maybe there's others? I just confused in general. I don't know that I understand what the problem is asking.

I will rewrite the amplitude equation in LaTeX (which you should learn how to use) and maybe you can see what's going on. $$A(\omega_d)=\frac{F/m}{\sqrt{(\omega_0^2-\omega_d)^2+(\gamma\omega_d)^2 }}.$$Can you just look at this expression and figure out for what value of ##\omega_d## it is maximized?

horserider37 said:
Hi everyone, I'm stuck on how to show the peak of the amplitude resonance curve is at wd = w0√(1-1/2Q^2), where Q = w0/γ. My first instinct is to take a derivative of something and set = 0, but what eqn?Help?
I'll assume that because you want to set a derivative equal to 0, you recognize that the word "peak" means maximum. What does "amplitude resonance curve" refer to? Answer that and you'll know what the problem is asking for.

$$A(\omega_d)=\frac{F/m}{\sqrt{(\omega_0^2-\omega_d^2)^2+(\frac{\omega_0}{Q}\omega_d)^2 }}.$$

I think that's right. There was a missing square in your eqn.

No, I can't tell. Should I be able to? I feel like I'm missing something stupidly easy.

When the denominator is smallest, right?. But how do I go from that to that formula?

Going by "when the denominator is smallest" does not work in this case because you have two terms in the denominator with ##\omega_d##. When ##\omega_d## increases, the first term in the denominator decreases while the second increases. Is there another, safer way to maximize the fraction as you vary ##\omega_d##?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Like $$\omega_d<\omega_0$$ even as ##\omega_d## varies?

@horserider37 If you found a y on one side and an x on the other, would that take you into more familiar territory? dsomething by dsomethingelse is what you are after(?).

Hi @horserider37. I suspect you might benefit from a couple of hints.

To maximise ##A(\omega_d)## you need to find the value of ##\omega_d## which minimises the denominator in the RHS of your equation. For this purpose, the square root in the denominator can be ignored - do you see why?

So you need to find the value of ##\omega_d## which minimises
##(\omega_0^2-\omega_d^2)^2####+(\frac{\omega_0}{Q}\omega_d)^2##

If we use some different symbols, the problem can be more familiarly expressed as finding the value(s) of x which minimise(s) ##y(x) =(a-x^2)^2 + bx^2##.

How’s your calculus/algebra?!

Likes Delta2
Steve4Physics said:
Very difficult without it . However, a graph with chosen starting values with several points on it would give you a maximum value.

Steve4Physics said:
Hi @horserider37. I suspect you might benefit from a couple of hints.

To maximise ##A(\omega_d)## you need to find the value of ##\omega_d## which minimises the denominator in the RHS of your equation. For this purpose, the square root in the denominator can be ignored - do you see why?

So you need to find the value of ##\omega_d## which minimises
##(\omega_0^2-\omega_d^2)^2####+(\frac{\omega_0}{Q}\omega_d)^2##

If we use some different symbols, the problem can be more familiarly expressed as finding the value(s) of x which minimise(s) ##y(x) =(a-x^2)^2 + bx^2##.

My algebra/calculus is horrible, hence the issue I think! I still don't understand how to find what minimizes that

horserider37 said:
My algebra/calculus is horrible, hence the issue I think! I still don't understand how to find what minimizes that
Do you know at least how to take differentials? If so, when the denominator is at a minimum at a certain value of ##\omega_d## this means that $$d\left[\left(\omega_0^2-\omega_d^2\right)^2\right]+d\left[\left (\dfrac{\omega_0}{Q}\omega_d\right)^2\right]=0. $$

horserider37 said:
As previously noted, the maths is equivalent to finding the value of x which minimises ##y(x) =(a-x^2)^2 + bx^2##

Note that all occurences of ##x## are in the form ##x^2## so we can let ##w = x^2## and ask the simpler question: what value of ##w## minimises ##y = (a-w)^2 + bw##?

Can you do that? You can do it with basic calculus or some algebra (completing the square). You will need to make an attempt and show your working - we are not going to do it for you!

Likes Delta2
I got it! Thanks yall! I do *know* calculus, but I'm really bad with symbols and always overthink. I was severely complicating my derivatives lol, trying to make them much harder than they needed to be. Switching to a,b,c did the trick!

Likes Steve4Physics and Delta2
horserider37 said:
Switching to a,b,c did the trick!
Familiar territory. :smile:

1. What is the peak of the amplitude resonance curve?

The peak of the amplitude resonance curve is the point on the curve where the amplitude, or height, of the oscillation is at its maximum. This point represents the resonant frequency of the system, which is the frequency at which the system vibrates most strongly.

2. How is the peak of the amplitude resonance curve calculated?

The peak of the amplitude resonance curve is calculated by finding the resonant frequency, which is the frequency at which the amplitude is at its maximum, and then measuring the amplitude at that frequency. The resonant frequency can be found by either analyzing the system's equations of motion or by conducting experiments and plotting the amplitude versus frequency data.

3. What factors affect the peak of the amplitude resonance curve?

The peak of the amplitude resonance curve is affected by several factors, including the stiffness and mass of the system, the damping coefficient, and the driving frequency. Additionally, the shape and material properties of the system can also affect the peak of the amplitude resonance curve.

4. What is the significance of the peak of the amplitude resonance curve?

The peak of the amplitude resonance curve is significant because it represents the resonant frequency of the system, which is the frequency at which the system vibrates most strongly. This frequency can be used to design and tune systems for maximum efficiency and performance.

5. How does the peak of the amplitude resonance curve relate to natural frequency?

The peak of the amplitude resonance curve is also known as the natural frequency of the system. This is because it is the frequency at which the system will naturally vibrate when disturbed. The natural frequency is an important characteristic of a system and is used in various engineering applications, such as in the design of bridges and buildings.