Percent change vs. percent difference

In summary: They might instead think that the number went up by 50%.Percent change is not clear unless the number from which the change happened is known, given, or assumed, or if the assumption can clearly be understood.
i_love_science
What is the difference between percent change and percent difference? When would you use one over the other? Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
i_love_science said:
What is the difference between percent change and percent difference? When would you use one over the other? Thanks.
Have you done any research on this? It's pretty easy to do it yourself.

You choose depending how specific you want to be in discussing or stating the change. If you want to avoid confusion, speak in terms of percentage increate or percentage decrease.

symbolipoint said:
You choose depending how specific you want to be in discussing or stating the change. If you want to avoid confusion, speak in terms of percentage increate or percentage decrease.
That's not what the internet says. You are talking about % change, for which I agree w/ you, BUT ...
Percent Difference is the difference between two values divided by the average of the two values shown as a percentage.
which is not the same thing.

phinds said:
That's not what the internet says. You are talking about % change, for which I agree w/ you, BUT ...
which is not the same thing.
That shows you why I like to look for more precise language in discussing percent change or percent difference. Or at least show in symbolized form what is meant, to help cut through any troubles with language.

symbolipoint said:
That shows you why I like to look for more precise language in discussing percent change or percent difference. Or at least show in symbolized form what is meant, to help cut through any troubles with language.
But all you said was
symbolipoint said:
speak in terms of percentage increate or percentage decrease.
Which does not describe percent difference at all, that was my point.

i_love_science said:
@i_love_science, as @symbolipoint suggested, MATH (symbolic notation) is the best way to precisely describe things.

If something goes from 50 to 100, that's a percentage increase of 100%.

If something goes from 100 to 50, that's a 50% decrease

The percentage difference between 50 and 100 is 66.7%

SO ... you don't "use one over the other", you use the ONE that is correct for what you are describing.

Likes DaveE
In practice, you will often find some confusion in how people use percentages to evaluate change. This is where it's important to clearly communicate. Percentage is really just a fraction of some sort, The rest is, unfortunately, dependent on human language. It is fashionable in lectures to define these things, but out in the real world it's a mess; people do it in all sorts of ways. You really just need to ask them, read an equation, or, if you are the source, tell people what you mean.

Likes atyy and symbolipoint
phinds said:
But all you said was

Which does not describe percent difference at all, that was my point.
and this part was left out of the quote, so needed to include
If something goes from 50 to 100, that's a percentage increase of 100%.

If something goes from 100 to 50, that's a 50% decrease

The percentage difference between 50 and 100 is 66.7%

Percent Change is not clear unless the number from which the change happened is known, given, or assumed, or if the assumption can clearly be understood.

To avoid ambiguity when going from 5% to 10% you can always say "increased by 100%" or "increased by 5 percentage points", can't you?

Borek said:
To avoid ambiguity when going from 5% to 10% you can always say "increased by 100%" or "increased by 5 percentage points", can't you?
You can, but I find that "increased by 5 percentage points" is confusing to some people. Non-STEM types tend to get confused by percentages (and often don't even realize that they ARE confused).

Likes DaveE

1. What is the difference between percent change and percent difference?

Percent change and percent difference are both measures of comparing two values. Percent change is used to calculate the difference between two values as a percentage of the original value. Percent difference, on the other hand, is used to calculate the difference between two values as a percentage of the average of the two values.

2. Can percent change and percent difference be used interchangeably?

No, percent change and percent difference cannot be used interchangeably. They are calculated differently and represent different concepts. Using them interchangeably can lead to incorrect conclusions and interpretations.

3. When should I use percent change and when should I use percent difference?

Percent change is typically used when comparing two values over time, such as the change in stock prices or the change in population over a period of time. Percent difference is used when comparing two values that are not related to time, such as the difference in height between two individuals or the difference in weight between two objects.

4. How do you calculate percent change and percent difference?

Percent change is calculated by taking the difference between the two values, dividing it by the original value, and then multiplying by 100. Percent difference is calculated by taking the difference between the two values, dividing it by the average of the two values, and then multiplying by 100.

5. What are the limitations of using percent change and percent difference?

Percent change and percent difference do not take into account the magnitude of the values being compared. For example, a change of 10% in a small value may not have the same impact as a change of 10% in a larger value. Additionally, they do not provide information about the direction of the change, only the magnitude.