Periodic wave direction question.

In summary, the conversation discusses the standard form of a harmonic wave and how to determine its direction of motion based on the sign in the sine function. It is concluded that a negative sign in front of the t value indicates a positive direction of motion, and vice versa. The example provided in the conversation confirms this understanding.
NBAJam100
I had actually posted this question earlier below one of my other questions but I am pretty sure it was hidden and no one saw it because it was nestled under a few responses... so here:

A periodic wave has the equation .15m*sin(10t+(pi)x)

Now i am getting a little bit mixed up about how to determine the direction of the wave... I am going to say this wave is moving in a positive direction because (pi)x is positive... meaning it is going forward... is that correct? So when i rewrite the equation it would be .15m*sin(10t+(pi)(x-vt)) to account for the positive change? Thanks for all of the help guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
The standard form of a harmonic wave is

[tex]y(x,t) = A \sin(kx \pm \omega t)[/tex]

The speed of the wave is [itex]v = \omega / k[/itex].

The direction of motion depends on whether the sign in the sine function is positive or negative. Negative sign means the wave moves in the positive x direction; negative sign means it moves in the positive x direction.

To see this, consider the following function:

[tex]y(x) = A \sin(x)[/tex]

Now, compare that to this:

[tex]y(x) = A \sin(x - 3)[/tex]

What does the -3 do to the graph?

Now consider:

[tex]y(x) = A \sin(x - t)[/tex]

As t increases, what happens to the graph?

Does that help?

Ok, so i think i get it now... In your last example, as t increases, we would be subtracting more from the sine equation, so that means the wave is moving to the right (positive direction). We are accounting for that shift by subtracting the value, which is why (-) in the sine means a positive shift. So in my question, since we are adding "t", that means the wave is traveling in the negative direction?

I just wasnt sure if it mattered if the sign was in from of the t or the x value...

That's right. In your example:

[tex].15m*sin(10t+(pi)x) = .15m \sin(\pi x + 10t)[/tex]

This is a wave that moves in the negative x direction, because of the plus sign.

Related to Periodic wave direction question.

1. What is a periodic wave?

A periodic wave is a type of wave that repeats itself at regular intervals. It can be described by its amplitude, wavelength, and frequency.

2. How is the direction of a periodic wave determined?

The direction of a periodic wave is determined by the direction of its motion. This can be in a straight line, known as a longitudinal wave, or in a perpendicular direction, known as a transverse wave.

3. What factors affect the direction of a periodic wave?

The direction of a periodic wave can be affected by the medium it is traveling through, such as air, water, or a solid material. The properties of the medium, such as density and elasticity, can also affect the direction of the wave.

4. How is the direction of a periodic wave measured?

The direction of a periodic wave can be measured using a compass or other directional tool. It can also be determined by observing the motion of particles in the medium as the wave passes through.

5. Can the direction of a periodic wave change?

Yes, the direction of a periodic wave can change if it encounters a change in medium or if it reflects or refracts off of a boundary. This can cause the wave to change direction, speed, or both.