Elliptic Functions Proof of Sum of Residues=0

In summary: = ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)= ∫f(z)dz + w
binbagsss

Homework Statement

Hi

I am looking at the attached proof for this property.

sumofresiduesproof1.png

I agree with the first line due to periodicity, but unsure about the next- see below 3)attempt

Homework Equations

To me, I deemed the integration substituion rule as relevant to this question, but perhaps something else has been used.

I believe these are if ## z \to \gamma(z) ## then :
##\int \limits_{C} f(z) dz \to ## either:

(depending on whether the transformation above is done in the argument of the function or on the limits)

a) ##\int \limits_{\gamma C} f(\gamma^{-1} z) d(\gamma^{-1}z) ##

or

b)##\int \limits_{\gamma^{-1}C} f(\gamma z) d(\gamma z) ##?

The Attempt at a Solution

so as far as I can see, (the argument has already been taken from ##z \to z+w_2 ## but by periodicity, but as far as I can see it is also an application of integration substitution rule part b since ## dz \to d(z+w_2)## and so therefore the limits should also go to ##C - w_2 ## , the inverse of this, so i.e. ##\Gamma_3 - w_2 ## but we haven't done any substitution on this?
Many thanks

Attachments

• sumofresiduesproof1.png
    sumofresiduesproof1.png
    31.9 KB · Views: 874
Physics news on Phys.org
for your post and for sharing your thoughts on this proof.

I agree that the first line is justified by the periodicity property. However, I believe that the next step involves a different approach.

First, let's define the function f(z) as the integrand in the given proof. Then, we can rewrite the integral as follows:

∫f(z+w2)dz = ∫f(z)dz + ∫f'(z)w2dz

This is just a simple application of the chain rule for integration. Now, using the periodicity property, we can see that the first integral on the right-hand side is equal to ∫f(z)dz, which is the same as the original integral. So, we are left with:

∫f(z+w2)dz = ∫f(z)dz + ∫f'(z)w2dz

= ∫f(z)dz + ∫f'(z)dz * w2

= ∫f(z)dz + ∫w2 * dz * f'(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + ∫f'(z)dz * ∫w2

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * ∫f'(z)dz

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * ∫f'(z)dz

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

= ∫f(z)dz + w2 * f(z)

1. What are elliptic functions?

Elliptic functions are a type of complex function that are periodic in both the real and imaginary directions. They have a wide range of applications in mathematics and physics, including in the study of elliptic curves and in the solution of certain differential equations.

2. What is the "Proof of Sum of Residues=0" for elliptic functions?

The "Proof of Sum of Residues=0" for elliptic functions is a mathematical proof that shows that the sum of the residues of an elliptic function in a given region is equal to zero. This proof is an important result in the study of elliptic functions and has many applications in complex analysis and number theory.

3. How is the "Proof of Sum of Residues=0" derived?

The "Proof of Sum of Residues=0" for elliptic functions is derived from the Cauchy Residue Theorem, which states that the sum of the residues of a function in a closed contour is equal to the integral of the function around the contour. By carefully choosing the contour and manipulating the integrand, the proof of the sum of residues can be derived for elliptic functions.

4. Why is the "Proof of Sum of Residues=0" important?

The "Proof of Sum of Residues=0" is important because it is a fundamental result in the study of elliptic functions. It allows for the calculation of complex integrals involving elliptic functions and has many applications in solving differential equations and in the study of complex analysis and number theory.

5. Are there any limitations to the "Proof of Sum of Residues=0" for elliptic functions?

While the "Proof of Sum of Residues=0" is a powerful tool in the study of elliptic functions, it does have some limitations. For example, it only applies to functions with simple poles, and it may not hold for functions with more complicated singularities. Additionally, the contour chosen for the proof may affect its validity, so care must be taken in selecting an appropriate contour.