Perpendicular forces acting in x and y directions

In summary: The conversation is discussing the general case for balancing any two forces with a third force, not just this specific case. In summary, the conversation is discussing finding an additional force that will balance two given forces. The angle between the resulting force and the positive x-axis is 22.6 degrees and the third force needed to balance the system is -13N at an angle of -157.4 degrees from the positive x-axis.
Bolter
Homework Statement
Finding additional force f, that balances Fx and Fy
Relevant Equations
Resolving forces
Hi everyone!

So I got a question shown below here and I’m struggling in what the question is trying to say here and what it wants me to give?

B28DD793-7BA1-420F-A003-479383BE9919.jpeg

Here is what I done

BCE052CF-E547-43FB-A670-91FD28B9152A.jpeg

For when resolving the individual x and y component of forces, my angle has always been measured counter clockwise from the positive x-axis initially.

Any help would be really great! Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Bolter said:
Homework Statement:: Finding additional force f, that balances Fx and Fy
Homework Equations:: Resolving forces

So I got a question shown below here and I’m struggling in what the question is trying to say here and what it wants me to give?
You've got two existing forces acting on some object at the origin. Those two forces will sum to some resultant force. (what angle will this resultant force make with the + x-axis?)

Now, what third force can you apply in order that the sum of all forces will be zero? In other words, what new force will you need to apply to balance the resultant above?

gneill said:
You've got two existing forces acting on some object at the origin. Those two forces will sum to some resultant force. (what angle will this resultant force make with the + x-axis?)

Now, what third force can you apply in order that the sum of all forces will be zero? In other words, what new force will you need to apply to balance the resultant above?

For the first case, when the 5N force is acting directly along the y-axis and 12N force acting directly along the x axis. Then the angle between the positive x-axis and resultant force is 22.6 degrees from using basic trig.

For the second case, I believe both forces get rotated by some angle theta counter clockwise from the positive x axis. Thus I had tried to resolve both forces into its horizontal and vertical components again leading me to get 4 smaller orthogonal forces. I then grouped the horizontal and vertical components separately. To find this third balancing force, I used Pythagoras. I had left this resultant force in abstract form as the theta angle is unknown here

C13AFC09-12D7-4E3B-966F-9F9D03A605FF.jpeg

Bolter said:
For the second case, I believe both forces get rotated by some angle theta counter clockwise from the positive x axis.
No, no need to rotate those forces. They retain their original orientation. You simply have to add another force to balance their resultant.

Draw your original forces and form the resultant:

1577644735753.png

Now redraw showing only the resultant (remove the original two forces as the resultant does the same thing as those two original forces). Now, what force would you need to apply to cancel out that resultant?

gneill said:
No, no need to rotate those forces. They retain their original orientation. You simply have to add another force to balance their resultant.

Draw your original forces and form the resultant:

View attachment 254842

Now redraw showing only the resultant (remove the original two forces as the resultant does the same thing as those two original forces). Now, what force would you need to apply to cancel out that resultant?

I see now. So to add an additional force that will counteract that resultant would be to apply a force that is of the same magnitude as the resultant but in the opposite direction to the resultant. So the force extra force that should be exerted on the object is a 13N force which is 202.6 degrees from the +ve x axis. So I guess this ensures that when all the forces are applied, including the extra force, new resultant comes out as zero and the object stays stationary.

83C156BD-41AC-4848-A33D-2B856354B18D.jpeg

Right! Although I would likely look at the angles like this:
1577646317572.png

Usually we like to see angle values in the range ##-180\deg \le \theta \le 180 \deg##, so you can also specify the angle from the positive x-axis as a negative value going clockwise from the x-axis to the new force in the third quadrant (shown in red below):
1577646754476.png

Likes Bolter
Ahh so preferably the angle is -180 + 22.6 = -157.4 degrees. Which is noted to be the angle measured from the positive x axis, going in a clockwise direction. Got it :smile:

Likes gneill
Isn't the answer simply: ##\vec{F}_{bal} = -F_x\hat{x} + -F_y\hat{y}##?

lightlightsup said:
Isn't the answer simply: ##\vec{F}_{bal} = -F_x\hat{x} + -F_y\hat{y}##?
In this case, yes it is.

1. What is the definition of perpendicular forces acting in x and y directions?

Perpendicular forces acting in x and y directions refer to two forces that are applied at a right angle to each other. This means that one force is acting horizontally in the x direction, while the other force is acting vertically in the y direction.

2. How do perpendicular forces affect an object's motion?

Perpendicular forces can cause an object to move in a curved or diagonal path, depending on the direction and magnitude of the forces. If the forces are equal, the object will move in a circular path, while unequal forces will result in an elliptical path.

3. How do you calculate the resultant force of two perpendicular forces?

To calculate the resultant force, you can use the Pythagorean theorem. First, square the magnitude of each force and add them together. Then, take the square root of the sum to find the resultant force's magnitude. The direction of the force can be found using trigonometric functions.

4. Can perpendicular forces cancel each other out?

Yes, if the two forces are equal in magnitude but acting in opposite directions, they will cancel each other out and result in a net force of zero. This is known as equilibrium, and the object will not experience any change in its motion.

5. How do you determine the direction of the resultant force when dealing with perpendicular forces?

The direction of the resultant force can be determined using trigonometric functions. For example, if the forces are acting at a right angle to each other, you can use the inverse tangent function to find the angle of the resultant force.