Perturbation Theory: Calculating for the correction on the ground state energy

In summary, the problem asks for the potential energy of a hydrogen atom at the point of a nucleus. The Hamiltonian for a point nucleus is the sum of the potential energy of the point nucleus and a "perturbation" which is the difference between the potential energy of a point nucleus and the potential energy of a finite-sized nucleus. The perturbation is just the change in the potential energy function when going from a point nucleus to a finite nucleus. The perturbation can be found by solving the Hamiltonian for a finite nucleus and taking the difference between that and the Hamiltonian for a point nucleus.
jhosamelly

Homework Statement

w9wj0n.jpg

Homework Equations

[itex]E_{1}=<ψ_{1}|V(r)|ψ_{1}>[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

That is equal to the integral ∫ψVψd^3r

So I'll just perform the integral, correct ? But r is not constant here right? So, I' ll keep it inside the integral? How should I continue? Please help. Thanks. :))

Physics news on Phys.org
jhosamelly said:
[itex]E_{1}=<ψ_{1}|V(r)|ψ_{1}>[/itex]That is equal to the integral ∫ψVψd^3r

So I'll just perform the integral, correct ? But r is not constant here right? So, I' ll keep it inside the integral?

Right, ##r## is a variable of integration.

Something to think about: In the integral should you use the potential energy ##V(r)## as stated in the problem or the perturbation ##\delta V(r)## of the potential energy (due to switching from the potential energy of a point nucleus to the potential energy of a finite-sized nucleus)?

TSny said:
Right, ##r## is a variable of integration.

Something to think about: In the integral should you use the potential energy ##V(r)## as stated in the problem or the perturbation ##\delta V(r)## of the potential energy (due to switching from the potential energy of a point nucleus to the potential energy of a finite-sized nucleus)?

I really don't get your point sorry. I'm guessing I should use the perturbation of the potential. But how can I get that?

The hydrogen atom is usually solved treating the nucleus as concentrated in a point. The ground state wavefunction that you specified was derived under this assumption.

Now you want to treat the nucleus more realistically as having a finite size and calculate a correction to the ground state energy in going from a point nucleus to the finite nucleus. The Hamiltonian for a finite nucleus can be thought of as the Hamiltonian for the point nucleus plus a "perturbation". So, the perturbation is just the difference between the Hamiltonian for a finite nucleus and the Hamiltonian for a point nucleus. You should convince yourself that the perturbation is just the change ##\delta V(r)## in the potential energy function when going from the point nucleus to the finite nucleus.

Can you find a mathematical expression for ##\delta V(r)##? The potential energy for a finite nucleus is given in the problem. So, you need to remember what the potential energy function is for a point nucleus.

Last edited:
you should just break up the integral at r=R.see if it works.

Related to Perturbation Theory: Calculating for the correction on the ground state energy

What is perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to calculate the correction on the ground state energy of a system due to a small perturbation, or disturbance, in the system.

Why is perturbation theory used?

Perturbation theory is used because it allows us to calculate the effects of small perturbations on the ground state energy without having to solve the entire problem from scratch. This can save time and computational resources.

How is perturbation theory applied in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, perturbation theory is applied by considering the ground state energy as the sum of the unperturbed energy and a correction term. This correction term is calculated by expanding the perturbation in terms of a small parameter and using mathematical techniques to solve for the correction.

What factors can affect the accuracy of perturbation theory calculations?

The accuracy of perturbation theory calculations can be affected by the size of the perturbation, the convergence of the series used to calculate the correction, and the specific mathematical techniques and approximations used in the calculation.

What are the limitations of perturbation theory?

Perturbation theory is limited to small perturbations in a system and may not accurately predict the effects of larger perturbations. It also assumes that the system is in a stable ground state, which may not always be the case. In addition, perturbation theory may not be applicable to systems with degenerate energy levels.