PET Imaging - negative distance on a sinogram?

In summary, a negative distance on a sinogram in PET imaging refers to a displacement in the opposite direction of the positive displacement. This can be seen in the plot style of a graph, as there are examples of graphs with negative displacements. Any questions about this specific topic could be better suited for a medical science forum.
Biology news on Phys.org
In A or B I don't see a negative displacement.
C or D are projections, so I would expect the displacement to be the other direction.

A specific question about the plotting style could fit better in the medical science forum.

mfb said:
In A or B I don't see a negative displacement.
C or D are projections, so I would expect the displacement to be the other direction.

A specific question about the plotting style could fit better in the medical science forum.

OK thanks I will re-post there. I have found an example if a graph with negative displacements though?
upload_2015-10-22_14-43-46.png

1. What is PET imaging and how does it work?

PET (positron emission tomography) imaging is a medical imaging technique that uses a small amount of radioactive material to produce 3D images of the body's tissues and organs. The radioactive material, known as a radiotracer, is injected into the body and emits positrons, which are detected by a PET scanner. The data is then processed to create detailed images that can help diagnose diseases and monitor treatment progress.

2. What is a sinogram in PET imaging?

A sinogram in PET imaging is a 2D representation of the detected positrons from the radiotracer. It is a graph that shows the distribution of positron emissions along the body's tissues and organs. The sinogram is used to create the final 3D image through a process called reconstruction.

3. What does a negative distance on a sinogram in PET imaging mean?

A negative distance on a sinogram in PET imaging indicates that the detected positrons have traveled in the opposite direction as the scanner. This can occur when the radiotracer is injected into a tissue or organ that is located behind the area being scanned. It can also be caused by technical factors such as scanner malfunction or patient movement during the scan.

4. Is a negative distance on a sinogram in PET imaging a cause for concern?

No, a negative distance on a sinogram in PET imaging is a common occurrence and is not typically a cause for concern. It is important for the technician to note the negative distance and take it into account during the reconstruction process, but it does not significantly impact the accuracy of the final image.

5. Can a negative distance on a sinogram in PET imaging affect the diagnosis or treatment plan?

In most cases, a negative distance on a sinogram in PET imaging will not affect the diagnosis or treatment plan. However, if the negative distance is significant or occurs in a critical area being scanned, it may be necessary to repeat the scan to obtain a more accurate image. Overall, a negative distance on a sinogram is a minor technical issue that is easily managed by experienced technicians.