PhD in Physics: Facts, Fees and Admittance to Cambridge

In summary, getting a PhD in Physics is a challenging and time-consuming process that typically takes 5-6 years after obtaining a bachelor's degree. The difficulty may vary depending on the university, but it is important to have a strong mentor and access to good equipment. Graduate students are usually paid through TA or RA jobs, with the amount varying depending on the university and supervisor. The competition and grading may also differ between undergraduate and graduate courses. In the UK, the PhD process is different, with a shorter timeline and equal stipend for all students regardless of the university.
Cbray
How hard is it to get a PhD in Physics? Does it matter which University I do it at? How long does it take? Do I get paid? Is it harder depending on Universities? I want to do one at Cambridge, is that really difficult to do?

Thanks! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Doing a PhD is very hard and will be very frustrating a lot of the time. It takes about 3-4 years. You get paid. It's not more difficult at different universities, but the professor guiding you and the equipment you might have to work with might be better at more renowned universities. We don't know you're qualifications so there is no way of saying you'll get in, but I'm sure it is very difficult to get into Cambridge.

From what I hear, most Phd programs take 5-6 years on average. I know this seems like a lot but that's after getting a bachelors, not after a masters.

On a side note, many schools I've seen don't offer a masters degree in physics, but you can sometimes get something called a "masters in passing" while you are doing Phd, where they give you a masters because you completed the equivalent amount of work for a masters on your way to a Phd.

I don't know anything about the difficulty but I know a little bit about the competition and grading (at Berkeley anyways). Grading curves for undergraduate courses tend to be a bit harsher than graduate courses and the students tend to be less competitive from what I hear (though competition in undergraduate physics courses in upper division courses is nonexistent in my experience).

I don't know anything about the differences between universities but what eXorikos said makes sense to me. I imagine where you do it also may help getting a job afterwards, since a more renowned university may lead to more renowned references and connections.

As for getting paid, when you are a grad student, the university tends to give you a "job" of some kind. It is either a TA (Teaching Assistant) or RA (Research Assistant) job from what I hear. TA jobs help out with classes and are given by the university. From what I understand RA jobs are funded by research grants and are given out at the discretion of faculty members. Typically the pay is supposed to be all your tuition and fees and a stipend to help make ends meet. The size of the stipends depends on who you are and who you are working for from what I hear. I know a guy who got into a Phd program at UCLA and according to him, he would get expelled if he got a job because of the amount of money they are giving him. I don't know if that includes full time and part time jobs, excludes jobs at the university, or any other possible technicalities.

I don't know anything about Cambridge but I imagine it would be difficult to get into.

This is all from my own personal research and not from experience. I could be wrong but this is what I understand to be true.

The sticky thread "So You Want to Be a Physicist" at the top of this forum has a lot of useful information about getting a PhD.

id the sloth said:
From what I hear, most Phd programs take 5-6 years on average. I know this seems like a lot but that's after getting a bachelors, not after a masters.

On a side note, many schools I've seen don't offer a masters degree in physics, but you can sometimes get something called a "masters in passing" while you are doing Phd, where they give you a masters because you completed the equivalent amount of work for a masters on your way to a Phd.

I don't know anything about the difficulty but I know a little bit about the competition and grading (at Berkeley anyways). Grading curves for undergraduate courses tend to be a bit harsher than graduate courses and the students tend to be less competitive from what I hear (though competition in undergraduate physics courses in upper division courses is nonexistent in my experience).

I don't know anything about the differences between universities but what eXorikos said makes sense to me. I imagine where you do it also may help getting a job afterwards, since a more renowned university may lead to more renowned references and connections.

As for getting paid, when you are a grad student, the university tends to give you a "job" of some kind. It is either a TA (Teaching Assistant) or RA (Research Assistant) job from what I hear. TA jobs help out with classes and are given by the university. From what I understand RA jobs are funded by research grants and are given out at the discretion of faculty members. Typically the pay is supposed to be all your tuition and fees and a stipend to help make ends meet. The size of the stipends depends on who you are and who you are working for from what I hear. I know a guy who got into a Phd program at UCLA and according to him, he would get expelled if he got a job because of the amount of money they are giving him. I don't know if that includes full time and part time jobs, excludes jobs at the university, or any other possible technicalities.

I don't know anything about Cambridge but I imagine it would be difficult to get into.

This is all from my own personal research and not from experience. I could be wrong but this is what I understand to be true.

Note that this is entirely advice for a US PhD. The UK system is not the same, the main differences being that you are not normally required to take any courses, are expected to finish within 4 years and, if paid by a studentship, the stipend will be the same regardless of where you go and who you work with (with the exception of a bit more cash if you live in london). You aren't (normally) expected to teach for this stipend and, if you are, it is helping out in a few example classes per week, and nothing like the amount of teaching that US grad students do.

1. What is a PhD in Physics?

A PhD in Physics is a doctoral degree that focuses on advanced studies and research in the field of physics. It is the highest level of education one can attain in this subject and typically takes 3-5 years to complete.

2. What are the requirements for admission to a PhD in Physics program at Cambridge?

The requirements for admission to a PhD in Physics program at Cambridge vary depending on the specific program and department. However, most programs require a strong academic background in physics or a related field, strong letters of recommendation, and a research proposal. Additionally, international students may need to provide evidence of proficiency in English.

3. How much does a PhD in Physics at Cambridge cost?

The cost of a PhD in Physics at Cambridge can vary depending on several factors, such as whether you are a UK or international student, the specific program you are enrolled in, and any scholarships or funding you may receive. Generally, UK students can expect to pay around £4,500-£7,000 per year, while international students can expect to pay £20,000-£35,000 per year.

4. What are the career prospects after completing a PhD in Physics at Cambridge?

Graduates from a PhD in Physics program at Cambridge have a wide range of career opportunities available to them, including research positions in academia, government, and industry. They may also pursue careers in fields such as engineering, finance, and data science.

5. Can I work while pursuing a PhD in Physics at Cambridge?

It is possible to work while pursuing a PhD in Physics at Cambridge, but it is important to prioritize your studies and ensure that your work schedule does not interfere with your research and coursework. Some students may also have the opportunity to work as teaching or research assistants within their department.