Phd one class at a time? Going back for another Bachelors?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a PhD in engineering while working full time and taking one class at a time. It is mentioned that the thesis is also an important factor in obtaining a PhD. The timeframe for completing a PhD with only one class at a time is estimated to be around 8 years. The conversation also touches on the possibility of pursuing another bachelor's degree and the limitations on transferring credits from previous degrees. It is emphasized that the rules and regulations for this may vary depending on the specific program.
YoshiMoshi
So I know some school out their will gladly take my money from me, but my question is can you pursue a phd in engineering while working full time, by just taking one class at a time? That is what I'm currently doing for my masters degree, and wondering if it's even possible for a phd.

I know that I defiantly want to continue education after I finish my masters but am unsure if it's possible to get a phd taking one class a time.

If it's not than pursuing possibly another bachelor's is an option. The company I work for pays a certain percentage but only for one degree at one level. So the company I work would support another bachelor's lol.

Could I pursue another bachelor's like I thought in my undergraduate you cannot apply any credits to your undergraduate degree that are over 8 years old. So if I were to go back for another Bachelor's with credits over 8 years old than what happens? Would I have to take all the really easy math classes over again like Calculus 1 or have to waste my time taking general education credits again?

Just wondering if you pursue another bachelor's and your credits from your first undergraduate degree is over 8 years old, do you really have to go for another 120 credits and take over really basic fundamental classes all over again?

Physics news on Phys.org
A. Classes are only a part of a PhD. The thesis is also important - some would say the larger part.
B. One class at a time takes a long time. 8 years is not an unrealistic time to finish. Many places have a limit on how long you can be a PhD candidate - around 10 years or so.

To add to what Vanadium said, it's *possible* to work full time and complete a PhD, but in my experience it's very rare (among PhD candidates) for someone to complete the PhD with another full time commitment. And usually with PhDs, they're not taking the money from you. In fact, in most cases they're paying you to attend in one way or another.

As far as the rules with respect to what you will and will not get credit for in a second bachelor's - they're going to be school-specific. So if you're looking into a program that allows a second bachelor's degree, read the program outline and course calendar carefully so that you know what you're signing up for.

1. What is a "Phd one class at a time" program?

A "Phd one class at a time" program is a type of doctoral program where students take one class at a time, typically over a longer period of time compared to traditional Phd programs. This allows students to focus on one subject at a time and have a more balanced workload.

2. Is a "Phd one class at a time" program less rigorous than a traditional Phd program?

No, a "Phd one class at a time" program is not necessarily less rigorous. The workload may be spread out over a longer period of time, but the same level of academic rigor is maintained. In fact, some students may find this approach more manageable and beneficial for their learning style.

3. Can I still work while pursuing a "Phd one class at a time" program?

Yes, it is possible to work while pursuing a "Phd one class at a time" program. The schedule is typically more flexible, allowing students to balance their studies with other commitments. However, it is important to carefully consider your workload and time management skills before committing to a program.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing a second Bachelor's degree?

Pursuing a second Bachelor's degree can provide a deeper understanding and expertise in a specific field, as well as open up new career opportunities. It can also demonstrate a strong commitment to continued learning and personal growth.

5. Is it common for someone to go back for another Bachelor's degree?

Yes, it is becoming more common for individuals to go back for another Bachelor's degree. With the changing job market and advancements in technology, many people are seeking additional education and skills to stay competitive in their field or transition to a new career.