PhET - Default Damping Value?

In summary: Then you can add the damping term, and they can see how it affects the oscillation.In summary, the PhET simulation "Masses and Springs" allows for the exploration of oscillation behaviors with varying levels of damping. The default setting for damping is in between "none" and "lots" and it is recommended to start with little damping to observe the unhindered oscillation. The app designers may have chosen this specific damping coefficient to demonstrate the effects of damping on real-life oscillations.
jalex003
Homework Statement
I have been tasked to investigate the default settings on the Colorado PhET for "Masses and Springs" - which helps students understand Hooke's Law. More specifically - I want to know what the default damping value is set to in this simulation (as indicated in the photo attached).
Relevant Equations
The damping force is proportional to the velocity (F = -c * v ), and the damping slider controls c.
startup - lab - damp question.png

PhET: https://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/masses-and-springs

Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It seems like starting with very little damping is a good thing to do, since it helps the student to see how the oscillation works when it is unhindered. Then turning up the damping is instructive to show underdamped, critically damped, and overdamped behaviors. Have you gone through those 3 cases of damping yet?

Hi berkeman,

Thank you for the welcome to this community.

I have gone through those 3 cases of damping as you have described. I'm just curious as to why whenever I restart this particular PhET, I notice that the damping level adjusts to a pre-programmed value (that is in between "none" and "lots" <? units>). Essentially, I'm not sure whether or not this is arbitrary - or a pre-defined constant...

The teaching guide for "Masses and Springs" mentions damping briefly and cites their Github model. But I haven't found a satisfactory resolution as to what the default setting for damping means in the lab component of the simulation...

Thank you for providing me with the hyperphysics link! This is a good resource to have as a bookmark...

I'm still scratching my head over why did the app designers choose this specific damping coefficient? Is it relevant to real life in some way?

Attachments

• damp preset value.PNG
    damp preset value.PNG
    960 bytes · Views: 104
So when you start the app, does it show an undamped oscillation that just keeps going? That's probably a good starting point for students to get to see what happens with a mass on a spring.

1. What is the default damping value in PhET simulations?

The default damping value in PhET simulations is 0.2.

2. How does changing the damping value affect the simulation?

Changing the damping value affects the simulation by altering the rate at which the system loses energy. A higher damping value will cause the system to lose energy more quickly, while a lower damping value will allow the system to oscillate for longer periods of time.

3. Can the default damping value be changed?

Yes, the default damping value can be changed by adjusting the settings in the simulation or by using the "Custom" option to manually input a specific damping value.

4. What is the purpose of the damping value in PhET simulations?

The damping value in PhET simulations is used to model the effects of friction or resistance in a system. It helps to make the simulation more realistic by accounting for energy loss in the system.

5. How can I determine the appropriate damping value for a specific simulation?

The appropriate damping value for a specific simulation will depend on the system being modeled and the desired outcome. It may require some trial and error to find the best damping value that accurately represents the real-world system being simulated.