Photon absorption -- What happens to the excess energy?

In summary: Stokes-Raman scattering is a relatively rare effect in which a photon of a certain frequency (in the visible and near-infrared range) imparts some of its energy to a free electron, and then continues as a lower-energy photon.
jeremyfiennes
TL;DR Summary
What happens to excess energy?
Wikipedia: "When a photon has about the right amount of energy to change the energy state of a system (usually an electron changing orbitals), the photon is absorbed."

What happens if a somewhat higher energy photon arrives?

Physics news on Phys.org
jeremyfiennes said:
Summary:: What happens to excess energy?

Wikipedia: "When a photon has about the right amount of energy to change the energy state of a system (usually an electron changing orbitals), the photon is absorbed."

What happens if a somewhat higher energy photon arrives?
It doesn't get absorbed unless your "somewhat higher" is within the range of Wikipedia's "about right".

• Haha
Likes jeremyfiennes and vanhees71
Thanks. So it is reflected/refracted?

It could be reflected or refracted or simply move merrily along as if the atom weren't there. It doesn't need to interact with every atom in encounters along its way.

Likes jeremyfiennes
jeremyfiennes said:
So it is reflected/refracted?

You're mixing up models at different levels. Reflection/refraction are not things that happen to single photons. They are things that happen to light that is well described by the classical approximation of electromagnetic waves, which in "photon" terms means light made up of huge numbers of photons, not single photons.

If you're talking about a single photon, and it's not absorbed by an atom, the only other quantum level interaction that I'm aware of is Compton scattering.

Likes jeremyfiennes
Thanks. But if its energy is too high for it to be absorbed by displacing an electron into a higher orbit, but not high enough for Compton scattering, which was done using X-rays?

jeremyfiennes said:
if its energy is too high for it to be absorbed by displacing an electron into a higher orbit, but not high enough for Compton scattering, which was done using X-rays?

If there is no interaction that can take place for a photon of that energy, what would you expect to happen?

Disappear into the material and form heat, I suppose. Or maybe reappear at a reduced frequency in a low-level Compton scatter, which is presumably possible.

I think my real doubt is whether an atom can extract from a higher energy photon what it needs to displace an electron into a higher orbit. And then re-emit the remainder as a lower frquency phton, analogous to a Compton scatter.

jeremyfiennes said:
Disappear into the material and form heat, I suppose.

That would be an interaction, and the condition was "no interaction".

jeremyfiennes said:
Or maybe reappear at a reduced frequency in a low-level Compton scatter, which is presumably possible.

Same comment.

jeremyfiennes said:
I think my real doubt is whether an atom can extract from a higher energy photon what it needs to displace an electron into a higher orbit. And then re-emit the remainder as a lower frquency phton, analogous to a Compton scatter.

The answer to this is easy: no.

Thanks. But this raises a further one: In Compton scattering a photon imparts some of its energy to a free electron, and then continues as a lower-energy photon. Is there any theoretical reason why it can't do this when displacing an orbiting electron from a lower to a higher state?

jeremyfiennes said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raman_scattering

Thanks. It seems that Stokes-Raman scattering is what I am talking about, but that this is a relatively rare effect.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is photon absorption?

Photon absorption is the process by which a photon, or a particle of light, is absorbed by an atom or molecule. This can result in the excitation of the atom or molecule, causing it to gain energy.

2. What happens to the excess energy during photon absorption?

During photon absorption, the excess energy is typically converted into heat. This is because the excited atom or molecule will eventually return to its ground state, releasing the excess energy in the form of heat.

3. Can photon absorption lead to chemical reactions?

Yes, photon absorption can lead to chemical reactions if the excited atom or molecule is in a reactive state. For example, in photosynthesis, photon absorption by chlorophyll molecules leads to the production of chemical energy in the form of glucose.

4. What factors affect the amount of excess energy during photon absorption?

The amount of excess energy during photon absorption is affected by the energy of the photon, the energy levels of the atom or molecule, and any energy losses due to interactions with other particles or molecules.

5. How is photon absorption used in everyday life?

Photon absorption has many practical applications in everyday life. For example, it is used in solar panels to convert sunlight into electricity, in photography to capture images, and in medical imaging to visualize internal structures in the body.