Physics 1 with Calculus Advice

In summary, the speaker is an older student pursuing a degree in mechanical engineering and is currently taking a physics class. They had initially been excited for the class, but have found that their instructor's teaching methods are not effective. The exams do not align with the homework, the homework is too challenging, the grading is inflated, and the instructor lacks organization and relies too heavily on derived calculations. The speaker is seeking advice on how to better understand the material and is considering approaching the instructor about their concerns. The speaker is reminded to take their education into their own hands and not rely solely on the instructor's teaching methods.
Overcenter76
Hello,

I would like to give a little background information, I'm an older than average student who has been working toward earning a degree in mechanical engineering (BSME). Attending the local community college has been a long and arduous task, a mix of full-time and part-time for the better part of three years now, but I apply to my four year school at the end of this term.

I was excited to be taking physics this semester, it is a subject I have had an interest in for some time now; however, by the time I had taken my first exam I could see a pattern in my instructor that soured my taste for this class. My professor while being a nice guy and having a passion for physics is just not the strongest instructor in my opinion.
Here are some of my examples:

-The content of his exams and the content of the homework do not even come close to coinciding. I have taken three of his exams now, and the homework while from the same sections of the book as the exam, using the homework to prep for the exam is no help.

-The problems he selects for the homework are not the basis for the examples used in his lectures. The problems he selects are way more challenging than any lecture example or exam question. The majority of the class copies the homework from the solutions manual and turns the copied work in.

-His grades are inflated, my lab partner can not convert centimeters to meters, yet he is passing the course. I have a low A to high B, and I feel my understanding is a mid C at best.

-His lack of any organizational skills, we are constantly behind schedule. This results in rushing through some topics as soon as an exam is approaching, changing due dates of assignments, and over all chaotic feel to the course.

-The way he presents the math in the classroom, he rarely uses calculus, and fills endless whiteboards with derived calculations that added no depth of understanding at all. I like math and calculus, but I hate filling an entire sheet of paper with numbers just for the sake of doing so. I have taken some of the material to my Calc 2 instructor just to gain some clarity and it has helped.

I feel like approaching him about my opinion / concerns about his class, but I do not want to be out of line. Currently, I watch the MIT open course videos and use Kahn Academy to help me get through the course now. However, my goal when I started this course was not to just get through it and move on it was, to better my understanding of physics. I would welcome some advice on what to do to get the most from this class, I'm afraid that I will find myself unprepared for statics and dynamics let alone any 3000 or 4000 level course.

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you must learn in college is not to rely on your teacher too much. Even in the best college, there will be teachers which are too easy or not understandable or just bad. You need to take your education into your own hands. Don't rely on your homework or lectures to understand the material.

Take a physics book yourself and work through it. Solve various exercises (including the very hard ones). That is the only way to learn.

When I look back at my own university experience, I can see that there were a lot of people who graduated and who didn't know the material at all. The people who knew the material very well, were exactly the people who took their education into their hands and who didn't rely too much on their courses.

Related to Physics 1 with Calculus Advice

1. What is the difference between Physics 1 with Calculus and Physics 1 without Calculus?

Physics 1 with Calculus is a more advanced version of introductory physics that incorporates calculus concepts into the equations and problem-solving techniques. This allows for a deeper understanding of the underlying mathematical principles behind the physical phenomena being studied. Physics 1 without Calculus, on the other hand, focuses on more basic algebra and trigonometry-based problem-solving methods.

2. How important is a strong understanding of calculus in Physics 1?

A strong understanding of calculus is essential for success in Physics 1 with Calculus. Many of the fundamental concepts and equations in physics involve derivatives, integrals, and other calculus techniques. Without a solid foundation in calculus, it can be difficult to fully grasp the material and solve problems accurately.

3. What can I do to prepare for Physics 1 with Calculus?

To prepare for Physics 1 with Calculus, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. Reviewing these concepts and practicing problem-solving techniques before starting the course can help build a strong understanding of the necessary mathematical skills. Additionally, familiarizing yourself with the basic principles and laws of physics can also be helpful.

4. Are there any specific study tips for success in Physics 1 with Calculus?

Some tips for success in Physics 1 with Calculus include attending lectures and taking detailed notes, practicing problem-solving regularly, seeking help from professors or tutors when needed, and studying with a group to discuss and work through difficult concepts. It is also important to stay organized and manage your time effectively to keep up with the coursework.

5. What are some common mistakes students make in Physics 1 with Calculus?

Some common mistakes students make in Physics 1 with Calculus include relying too heavily on memorization rather than understanding the concepts, not practicing enough problem-solving, and not seeking help when needed. It is also important to carefully read and interpret the problem before attempting to solve it, as well as double-checking calculations and units to avoid errors.