[Physics Honors] Finding magnitude

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 60 N block on a 30 degree ramp and the calculation of the magnitude of a horizontal force needed to prevent the block from moving. The normal force and net force are found to be 51.96 N and 0 N respectively, but there is confusion about the magnitude of the horizontal force. After further calculations and referencing an answer, it is determined that the horizontal force needed is 35 N, not 25.98 N as originally calculated.
choco1drop

Homework Statement

A 60 N block sits on a ramp slanted at 30 degree. A horizontal force is applied to the block to prevent it from moving. What is the magnitude of the force?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the normal force to be 51.96 N (checked it with the answer) and the net force to be 0 (checked with answer as well). But the last part, finding the magnitude of the horizontal force, doesn't seem to make sense to me.

The answer says it's 35 N, but what I got was 25.98 N. picture I tried to draw to show what i did --- > http://puu.sh/bZVT5/0d077890a0.png

I used relative triangles and geometry to determine the angles. Any help would be appreciated on where I went wrong. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know how to delete threads, but I figured out how to find the solution to this problem.

You have found the component of the force of gravity along the ramp. The component of the horizontal force along the ramp must cancel this exactly.

Related to [Physics Honors] Finding magnitude

1. What is magnitude in physics?

Magnitude in physics refers to the size or quantity of a physical quantity, such as force, velocity, or acceleration. It is a scalar quantity, meaning it has only magnitude and no direction.

2. How do you calculate magnitude?

The calculation of magnitude depends on the physical quantity being measured. For example, the magnitude of a vector quantity, such as force or velocity, is calculated using the Pythagorean theorem. The magnitude of a scalar quantity, such as energy or temperature, is simply its numerical value.

3. What is the difference between magnitude and direction?

Magnitude and direction are two components of a vector quantity. Magnitude refers to the size or quantity of the vector, while direction indicates the orientation or angle of the vector. Both magnitude and direction are necessary to fully describe a vector quantity.

4. How is magnitude represented in equations?

In equations, magnitude is typically represented by the symbol "|\cdot|", which indicates the absolute value of a number. For example, the magnitude of a vector v is written as |v|.

5. Can magnitude be negative?

No, magnitude is always a positive quantity. This is because it represents the size or quantity of a physical quantity, which cannot have a negative value. However, when using the absolute value symbol, it is possible to have a negative sign in front of the absolute value, indicating the direction of the vector.