Physics Major: Stanford, MIT & Berkeley | Jobs & Advice

In summary, a high school senior is seeking advice on choosing a major for their college application, specifically in the field of physics. They are considering top schools such as Stanford, MIT, and Berkeley but are also looking for recommendations on safety schools. The conversation also discusses the job market for physics majors and suggests that going into engineering may be a better option for finding employment. It is advised to join various clubs to gain experience and figure out which field is the best fit. Lastly, the importance of having a good PGRE is emphasized for pursuing a graduate program in physics or engineering.
flannabhra
Hey guys,

I am a high school senior and the time has come for me to apply to schools and start making some big life decisions. Since I took my first physics course, I have been in love with the subject. I know that I want to do something with physics in my life but I a having trouble choosing a good major. I am going to apply to Stanford, MIT and Berkeley.

What would you recommend for a major?

Also, what jobs would I be able to get with that degree?

Thank you,

Cameron

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are planning on just getting a bachelor's, then going into physics is problematic. Hiring managers have *no* idea what skills a physics major has. Engineering is the way to go, if you don't plan on going to grad school, IMO.

Search around on the forum, there are many threads on the trials, trevails, and triumphs physics majors have had in the job market.

The good news is, you don't have to decide on a major right away, because the first ~2 years of STEM curricula are very similar. Join the physics club, the math club, an engineering club, etc. to get a taste of working in the field. Something will click :smile:.

Oh and I hope you also apply to some 'safety' schools -- each of those schools turns away thousands of exceptionally well-qualified candidates each year!

I am definitely planning on going to graduates school..

Also, I know that I need some 'safety' schools but I am having trouble choosing them. Do you have any recommendations? I am considering UCSB as one..

Thanks again for the help!

Its easier to go from some type of physics engineering / applied physics program to a regular grad program than it is to convince HR people that your regular physics still means you have useful skills.

An HR software package will bounce your applications because you have a physics degree but no grad program will bounce your application because if you are an applied physics major or you have an ee major with a physics minor as long as you have a good PGRE .

I can understand your passion for physics and your desire to make the best decision for your future. All three of the schools you mentioned, Stanford, MIT, and Berkeley, have excellent physics programs and you can't go wrong with any of them. My recommendation would be to research the specific physics departments at each school and see which one aligns best with your interests and goals.

As for a specific major, I would suggest considering a degree in either Physics or Applied Physics. Both of these majors will provide a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of physics and will also allow you to specialize in a particular area of interest, such as astrophysics, condensed matter physics, or biophysics.

In terms of job opportunities, a degree in physics from any of these top universities will open up a wide range of options for you. Many physics majors go on to work in research and development, engineering, data analysis, or teaching. You could also pursue a career in industries such as aerospace, energy, or technology. Ultimately, your choice of major should align with your interests and career goals, and with a degree in physics from a top university, you will have a strong foundation for success in any field you choose. Best of luck in your decision-making process!

1. What are the top universities for a Physics major?

Stanford, MIT, and Berkeley are consistently ranked as the top universities for a Physics major.

2. What makes these universities stand out for Physics?

These universities have renowned Physics departments with highly accomplished faculty, state-of-the-art research facilities, and a strong emphasis on interdisciplinary collaboration.

3. What kind of jobs can I get with a Physics major from these universities?

Graduates from these universities are highly sought after by top companies in industries such as technology, healthcare, finance, and defense. They can pursue careers in research, engineering, data science, and more.

4. Are there any specific courses or concentrations that are recommended for a Physics major at these universities?

It is recommended to take a mix of core physics courses (such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics), as well as courses in related fields such as computer science, mathematics, and engineering to gain a well-rounded background.

5. What advice do you have for students considering a Physics major at these universities?

It is important to have a strong passion for Physics and a strong foundation in math and science. Also, take advantage of research opportunities, internships, and networking events to gain practical experience and make connections in the field.