Physics(or astro) after electrical engineering?

In summary: Ultimately, the decision between a masters in physics or electrical engineering is up to you and what you are truly interested in pursuing. In summary, if you are passionate about physics and astronomy, pursuing a masters in the field would be a wise choice. To prepare, you should take math and physics courses, look into research opportunities, and stay updated on advancements in the field. However, if you are more interested in electrical engineering, pursuing a masters in that field would also be a good option. The decision ultimately depends on your interests and goals.
clumzyme
physics(or astro) after electrical engineering?

I completed my bachelors in engineering technology majoring in electrical engineering in 2010 from a local university in INDIA and scored a 8.5/10 GPA. I worked in an aluminum smelter for about 8 monhts and found the job sucks. so have left it. Now i intend to do my masters degree.

Would going for physics(astronomy and astrophysics) be a wise choice just because i am fascinated by it and want to work in an observatory studying the universe??

How should i prepare myself to do it??

Or i should get a masters in electrical(in electrical i'll opt for electromagnetics or intelligent systems)??

I am now confused on what to do...

Physics news on Phys.org
The choice is yours, but going for a physics or astronomy and astrophysics degree would certainly be a wise choice if you are truly passionate about it. To prepare, you should take as many math and physics courses as you can. This will help to give you a strong foundation for further study. You should also look into research opportunities in physics and astronomy. Doing research can help you gain experience and knowledge in the field, as well as make connections with professors and researchers who may be able to help you in your studies. Additionally, reading up on the latest advancements in physics and astronomy may prove helpful.

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering and physics?

Electrical engineering is a specialized field of engineering that deals with the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism. Physics, on the other hand, is a broad field of science that encompasses the study of matter, energy, and their interactions.

2. How does physics play a role in electrical engineering?

Physics forms the fundamental basis for understanding electrical phenomena. Concepts such as electric fields, magnetic fields, and electromagnetic waves are all rooted in physics principles. In fact, electrical engineers often use mathematical models based on physics laws to design and analyze electrical systems.

3. Is a background in physics necessary for a career in electrical engineering?

While a strong foundation in physics can be beneficial for an electrical engineering career, it is not always necessary. Many electrical engineering programs include courses in physics, and some even offer a concentration in applied physics. However, some basic knowledge of physics principles is essential for understanding and applying electrical engineering concepts.

4. What are some common applications of physics in electrical engineering?

Physics principles are applied in a wide range of electrical engineering applications, such as designing electronic circuits, developing communication systems, and designing power systems. Understanding the behavior of electrical components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, requires a firm grasp of physics concepts.

5. How can a degree in electrical engineering prepare me for a career in physics or astrophysics?

A degree in electrical engineering can provide a strong foundation in mathematical and analytical skills, as well as hands-on experience with experimental methods and data analysis. These skills are highly valuable in the fields of physics and astrophysics, and an electrical engineering degree can serve as a solid starting point for pursuing graduate studies in these areas.