Physics sophomore trying to transfer. medical physics in mind after graduation

In summary: The best solution would be to choose between Madison and Purdue universities. Both universities have a great medical physics program and offer an Introduction to Medical Physics course.
Raioneru
Hello,
I'm a physics Major, and I want to transfer to another school.

I have 4 choices:

University of Wisconsin - Madison
University of illinois at Chicago
Indiana University Bloomington
Purdue university

here is what I would consider:
I'm a physics student but what's more important to me, is Medical physics. I want to go graduate school and obtain that degree.

Madison, bloomington, and Purdue, offer great undergrad research (true?) and they also offer: Introduction in medical physics as a course.

Illinois doesn't offer Introduction to medical Physics but it's the biggest medical schools, and they have affiliation with cancer centers etc...
also Chicago is a big big city and beside the crimes(...) it has a lot to offer.

Purdue and Madison both have Medical physics graduate programs but purdue's is not Campep-accredited, Madison is.
also chicago is the home University of chicago which offers also the Msc in MedPhys

so as you can see there are so many variables that I really don't know what to think, so I'm asking for people advices on this
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
I would caution against mixing up graduate and undergraduate programs. Just because you complete an undergraduate degree at a particular school doesn't necessarily translate into any advantage to getting into that school's graduate program.

That being said, doing your undergrad at a school with a medical physics program naturally has some advantages in that you could get involved with a medical physics research-project, attend medical physics talks, and get to know professors in that field. The important things for undergraduate work are that you get a strong physics foundation, you do well in your classes, and that you enjoy the program (people who enjoy what they do tend to be a lot more successful than those just slogging through).

ok so if I put aside the graduate perspective, the best solutions would be to choose between Madison and Purdue then?

Related to Physics sophomore trying to transfer. medical physics in mind after graduation

1. What classes should I take as a physics sophomore to prepare for a transfer into medical physics?

As a physics sophomore, it is important to take classes in calculus, mechanics, electromagnetism, and modern physics. It is also beneficial to take classes in biology and chemistry to gain a better understanding of the medical field.

2. Is it possible to transfer into a medical physics program as a sophomore?

Yes, it is possible to transfer into a medical physics program as a sophomore. However, it may be more challenging as most medical physics programs prefer students to have completed their undergraduate degree in physics or a related field.

3. What extracurricular activities can I participate in to enhance my chances of getting into a medical physics program?

Participating in research projects, volunteering at hospitals or clinics, and joining physics or medical-related clubs are all great ways to enhance your chances of getting into a medical physics program. These activities will demonstrate your interest and dedication to the field.

4. Are there any specific GPA requirements for transferring into a medical physics program?

Each program may have different GPA requirements, but typically a GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred. It is important to maintain a high GPA in your physics and science courses to show your academic ability and dedication to the field.

5. What should I do after graduation to prepare for a career in medical physics?

After graduation, you should consider applying for internships or research positions in medical physics. These experiences will provide hands-on training and valuable skills for your future career. It is also important to stay up-to-date on advancements and developments in the field by attending conferences and workshops.