Physics Vs. Mathematics, you decide

In summary, the speaker is having difficulty deciding on a potential major for university. They are considering both physics and math, as they enjoy the mathematical aspect of physics. They have worked through books in both subjects and have enjoyed the rigor and understanding that comes from proving theorems in math. However, they are still undecided and would like to hear from others on the forum. They also mention wanting to experience research in both areas while in college.
Shablong
Hello everybody! I am going to be heading to university in the spring and I am having a lot of trouble deciding on my potential major. I plan on attempting to experience research in both areas while I'm in college, but not knowing exactly what I want to do is killing me. Since the beginning of the year, I have gone though Kleppner and Kolenkow's Classical Mechanics and I am about to finish Calculus by Spivak.

I chose these books to get a real look at my potential future and the rigor involved in both areas. After working through K&K I was dead set on physics. Their way of introducing Newtonian mechanics blew my mind and I enjoyed every painstaking minute of working through the problems. The beauty of their explanations never ceased to amaze and excite me. I am highly looking forward to exploring the world of electrodynamics. I never understood just how amazing Einstein was until reading working through some initial problems.

However, I wanted to also experience pure math because a lot of what I enjoy about physics is the mathematical aspect. I was hoping attempting Spivak would solidify my decision to stick with physics. It didn't. I have been thoroughly enjoying the rigor and complete understanding that comes from proving theorems.

So, as you know by now, I remain undecided. I know this will be a completely personal decision I will eventually have to make, but I would enjoy hearing from the many brilliant people on this forum.

TLDR​

What was you initial inspiration or reason for exploring the option?

Why did you choose Physics/Math? (or engineering, biology, etc. special preference on the former)

What aspects of the subject led you and keep you in the subject?

Where did you get or continue to get your inspiration?

Thanks everybody, I look forward to seeing your responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually I'm in the same position as you. I like both and its a hard decision to make. If you send me a PM we could talk about it more.

1. What is the main difference between physics and mathematics?

Physics is a natural science that studies the behavior and interactions of matter and energy in the universe, while mathematics is a formal science that deals with abstract concepts such as numbers, quantity, and space.

2. Can you give an example of how physics and mathematics are related?

One example of the relationship between physics and mathematics is the use of mathematical equations to describe physical phenomena, such as Newton's laws of motion or Einstein's theory of relativity.

3. Which field is more important, physics or mathematics?

It is not accurate to say that one field is more important than the other. Both physics and mathematics play crucial roles in understanding and explaining the natural world. They are interconnected and rely on each other to make advancements in science.

4. Are there any similarities between physics and mathematics?

Yes, there are similarities between physics and mathematics, such as the use of logical reasoning, problem-solving techniques, and the use of abstract concepts. Both fields also involve experimentation and observation to gather data and make predictions.

5. Which field requires more creativity, physics or mathematics?

Both physics and mathematics require creativity in different ways. In physics, creativity is needed to come up with new theories and explanations for natural phenomena, while in mathematics, creativity is essential in developing new theorems and solving complex problems.