Pipeline bend calculation from strain gauge data

In summary, a stress analysis is being conducted on three buried pipelines carrying oil. Vibrating wire strain gauges have been installed on the surface of the pipelines, with a total of 468 strain gauges arranged 120° apart. The pipelines have experienced a landslide and a strain relief procedure has been performed. The data collected from the strain gauges covers the period from August 2013 to present. The individual is now looking to compare the results from the finite element stress analysis before and after the strain relief procedure with the strain gauges' data. They are also seeking a software or standard calculation method to convert the strain gauge's output data into stress. The orientation of the strain gauges is axial and the individual also wants to compare their
Endriu
Hi all,
I'm doing a stress analysis and I’m considering 3 buried pipelines carrying oil.

Vibrating wire strain gauges have been installed in different sections for a total of 468 strain gauges.

These have been arranged on the surface of the pipelines 120°apart:

upload_2017-11-16_10-53-58.gif

This pipelines have suffered from a landslide. There has been a strain relief procedure accordingly. After that, the pipe has undergone another progressive landslide.

The data I surveyed by the strain gauges belong to the period that goes from august 2013 (start of the strain relief) to now.

Here attached an example :

(Data from a strain gauge during the strain relief procedure of the buried pipeline)

I need to compare the results I have from the finite elements stress analysis of the pipeline before and after the strain relief procedure, with the strain gauges’ data.

I’m looking for a software or a standard calculation method to get the stress [N/m^2] out of the strain gauge’s output data [microstrain].

Could you please help me out?

Thank you.

Attachments

• upload_2017-11-16_10-53-58.gif
    2 KB · Views: 1,082
  • upload_2017-11-16_10-53-58.gif
    30.2 KB · Views: 702
Engineering news on Phys.org
Why can't you just use Young's Modulus ?

Last edited:
What is the orientation of the strain gages? Are they axial, circumferential, or something else?

Likes Chestermiller
They measure axial strain.
I also need to compare the results of this measuring with the output of the Autopipe model. It gives stress, forces and moments in each point of the pipeline.

1. What is the purpose of calculating pipeline bend from strain gauge data?

The purpose of calculating pipeline bend from strain gauge data is to determine the amount of deformation or curvature in a pipeline. This information is important for ensuring the structural integrity and safety of the pipeline.

2. What are the steps involved in the pipeline bend calculation process?

The steps involved in the pipeline bend calculation process typically include collecting strain gauge data from the pipeline, converting the data into strain values, analyzing the strain data to determine the amount of bend, and using mathematical formulas to calculate the bend angle or curvature.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of pipeline bend calculations?

The accuracy of pipeline bend calculations can be affected by a variety of factors, including the quality and placement of the strain gauges, the condition of the pipeline, the type of material the pipeline is made of, and external factors such as temperature and pressure.

4. How can the results of pipeline bend calculations be used in pipeline maintenance?

The results of pipeline bend calculations can be used to identify areas of the pipeline that may be at risk for failure due to excessive curvature. This information can help inform maintenance and repair decisions to ensure the safety and reliability of the pipeline.

5. Are there any limitations to using strain gauge data for pipeline bend calculations?

While strain gauge data is a useful tool for pipeline bend calculations, there are some limitations to consider. The accuracy of the data can be affected by factors such as vibration, temperature changes, and external forces. Additionally, the data may need to be combined with other measurements and calculations to get a complete picture of pipeline bend.